Monday, October 11, 2010

Monday, October 11, 2010 Who packed the bathroom tissue?

Based on "Jesus Calling" by Sarah Young


The house is about eighty-five percent empty now. One room still stands fairly full but other than that, we have the beds, two blankets, a dog, two cats, and some odds and ends. An echo arrived over the weekend. We're finding out what we can do without, and what we can't. Somebody packed the bathroom tissue early on. Maybe it seemed like a good idea at the time? Or, maybe it just demonstrated an extreme optimism that we'd be out of the house before anyone else had to go. Or, maybe it's a moving company joke.


As for each of us, we've considered different things as essential to have at hand in all the upheaval. Tom's doing his best to keep up with cell phones and keep them charged. That's a challenge with things disappearing left and right. I wanted to keep the computer up and running as long as possible and the bills together, organized and accessible. All Nick cares about is his ipod - his link to the outside world and a thoroughly entertaining little device. The pets just want to know there will be food in the dishes when they're hungry. We're simple people and pets.


The line in today's "Jesus Calling" devotional that stood out to me is "The one thing you absolutely need is the one thing you can never lose: My Presence with you." I started thinking back over all the times God has proved this to me and these examples came to mind. When: 
   I was shaking in fear in my bed at night as a child with an over-active imagination; 
   I felt like an alien as a middle-schooler; 
   I failed friends and my family;
   I thought I had to have a boyfriend in college; 
   I served as a summer missionary in New England;
   I accepted God's call to serve Him all my life;
   Tom and I moved to New Orleans to go to seminary as newlyweds;
   When I had to learn to make my own decisions;
   Counseling and leading youth;
   We moved to our first full-time church;
   I went through extreme post-partum depression;
   We left Red Bay;
   I spent a year at home alone for the first time again with Julie in kindergarten                  and Tom excited and busy about his new ministry in Springhill, LA.
   God called me to teach in the public school system;
   Daily, as the students at the school were hungry for love, understanding, and attention;
   During each solo;
   We became Nick's parents at a "mature" age;
   We're called to comfort others;
   We lost our grandparents;
   Julie married Nick;
   Christians don't act Christ-like;
   I don't act Christ-like and need forgiveness;
   we see our time in Daphne drawing to a close, Nick is sick, I'm not doing so great, and we need answers about how and when to get from point A to point B.


Sovereign Lord, You've fulfilled and You're in the process of fulfilling every need. You're the "all of the above" answer on life's test. In You alone, God, I find rest, hope, salvation, and a sure refuge. You're my Rock who pours out every blessing I need as I pour out every need to You and trust You to meet them.  Awesome God! Amazing Grace!  Father, You're everything, our all in all. You're solid - no loopholes, no weak spots, no leaks, no wear and tear, no vulnerabilities. Lead me to live trusting You and praising You for Your constant Presence. May others see and know that all I need is You, but first, help me believe and live that truth from the depths of my heart. 


In the name of Jesus the Solid Rock on whom we stand because all other ground is sinking sand!
   


"Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; 
     my hope comes from Him. 
He alone is my rock and my salvation;
     He is my fortress, I will not be shaken. 
My salvation and my honor depend on God; 
     He is my mighty rock, my refuge. 
Trust in Him at all times, O people, 
     pour out your hearts to Him, for God is our refuge." Psalm 62:5-8


"I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty."Revelation 1:8


"But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His wonderful light." 1 Peter 2:9


"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." James 1:17

1 comment:

  1. I read Jesus Calling in the morning, and usually read your blog in the evening. A perfect set of "bookends" for the day!

    Do you know you're still ministering to us, even though you're moving away (physically)?

    ReplyDelete