Thursday, October 28, 2010

Thursday, October 28, 2010 - Freak Show



The devotional* Nick and I read together last night touched on people in an old-time circus and included a strong man and a giant. Nick asked, "What did the giant do as his circus act?" and I told him that more than likely people paid to see a giant, since a giant is someone unusual. Then I told him about "freak shows" and the words stuck in my mouth because the phrase itself lacks any fairness or compassion. Nick was appalled that the world once used people with abnormalities as forms of entertainment. I used the opportunity to tell him this hateful human attitude begins revealing itself through children who bully and form cliques. As the "new kid" in town, he seemed especially open to understanding the value of compassion to people with seemingly unfair disadvantages.    

"Life isn't fair" is one of the first hard lessons we learn as children. One sibling gets to do something and you don't. Not fair! Someone else gets the last cookie. Not fair! It rains on the day of your outdoor birthday party. Not fair!  

As we grow, so does the punch in life's unfair blows: Unqualified people with connections get jobs and promotions while people who work hard are overlooked; Careless single women have several unplanned babies when loving couples can't get pregnant; wonderful people die young when less wonderful people live to ripe old ages; and the list goes on. Sarah Young, in today's "Jesus Calling," names another unfair situation in life: While we were ungodly and sinful freaks, Jesus died for us and clothed us in robes of salvation and righteousness. Bet that one wasn't on your list. It wasn't on mine either but it sure brings new light to what's fair and unfair in life. Is it fair that God forgives me when I keep sinning? Is it fair that I broke His law and Someone Else paid the price? Praise God, His ways are better than fair - they're filled with His amazing grace.   

"Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound - that saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost but now am found, was blind but now I see.
'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear - and grace my fears relieved!
How precious did that grace appear the hour I first believed."

Lord Almighty, God of grace and compassion, thank You for not being fair with us! Fairness would land us in a deep pit in this life and in hell in the afterlife. Thank You for choosing grace over fairness and for lavishing Your gifts on undeserving sinners. When we could do nothing about our spiritual condition and were doomed to an eternity separated from You, You sent Your own flesh and blood to bridge the gap between us. Now, when we take that beautiful, amazing Gift for granted You still insist on being patient and compassionate towards us. Thank You for seeing us in robes of salvation and righteousness when our own spiritual wardrobe is like filthy rags. Thank You for adorning us with jewels when we're quick to settle for all that glitters but is worthless or temporary. Thank You for pouring out the blessings of Your direction and wisdom so we can grow into the people You've created us to be. Bless Your Name in all the earth for Your amazing grace!

In the name of Jesus, the other name for Grace


"Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you." Colossians 3:13


"I delight greatly in the Lord; my soul rejoices in my God. For He has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels." Isaiah 61:10

"In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace that He lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding." Ephesians 1:7-8

"And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out His love into our hearts by  the Holy Spirit, whom He has given us. You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly." Romans 5:5-6

* Did You Know Devotions for Kids - 365 days of trivia, memory verses and fun devotions! (We love this kids' devotional book for kids 7-11. It's filled with true stories that have made Nick and I look forward to our time reading them together for the last two to three years. I'm hoping to find a sequel.)

2 comments:

  1. Robin, may I copy the prayer and Scripture and post it on my blog? I will give you credit.
    They are very meaningful. Thank you

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for giving me permission, Robin. It generated a lot of comments!
    http://fancyhorse.blogspot.com/2010/10/copied-with-permission-about-fairness.html

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete