Saturday, October 30, 2010

Saturday, October 30, 2010 - Never Too Old for A Crossing Guard

     As Little Mac and I sat in the car waiting for Nick to come out of the school building, we watched a teacher at the corner where we were parked. She waited until a group of students gathered around her then watched for an opening in the after-school traffic, stepped out first then motioned the students safely across the street. She held her arms out straight on each side to be more visible to drivers as they passed her and said, "Have a good weekend. Have fun this Halloween but be safe!" Then she returned to the corner and repeated this procedure time and again. At one point, a pair of girls ran thoughtlessly into the street as an SUV was backing out. One of the girls yelled at the other, "You're going to get hit!" and the vehicle slammed on brakes, avoiding a catastrophe. The teacher called to them, "Yes, you're going to get hit if you run across the street like that! Come to the crosswalk!" 
     All but two of the students came to the teacher to cross the street. I don't think our problem as believers is knowing where to go to safely navigate through life on earth to the "other side:" God's Word answers all our spiritual needs. Our problem is we don't listen for God's Voice when we think "I've got this," or when we don't think at all, or when we we want to live dangerously by doing things our way instead of His. The two girls were seventh graders, old enough to know how to safely cross a busy street, but maybe they thought they were "too old" for a crossing guard. Sometimes I've run into traffic and trouble because I assumed what was right for me and I didn't go to the crosswalk to let God lead me through a decision or project. Remember Joshua and the Israelites after God brought down the walls of Jericho? They thoughtlessly sent a small troop to take care of Ai, a town not much bigger than its name, and were whipped soundly because they didn't go to God first. Bad decision. Oh the humiliation and loss of lives!
     We can never assume life is a piece of cake, a no-brainer, or that we don't need God's direction or protection. The teacher on the crosswalk greeted the students who crossed with her and gave them caring advice about the weekend. The Lord knows we need to hear His loving Voice, His direction and His protection but He calls us to meet Him at the crosswalk first. He knows we're never too old or too spiritually mature for a Crossing Guard.


Father, thank You for caring for us to the point that You never leave us. You're always with us and we can always find You. Forgive us when we don't want to find You and insist on shortcuts and handling things on our own. The consequences are often destructive and heartbreaking. I don't want to pay the price for pride so I humbly come to You this morning to listen to You and to follow Your Voice wherever You lead me. Help us wait patiently with You at the corner until You're ready to lead us to the next corner. Help us listen and learn from You in the quiet times so we're ready to move into action when You give the green light.


In the name of God, who wrote the Safety Manual, Jesus, who stretched His arms wide on the cross to get those who come to Him to the other side, and the Holy Spirit who conducts us in God's will if we'll listen and follow Him.




"I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know Me. . . . My sheep listen to My voice; I know them, and they follow Me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of My hand."  John 10:14, 27-28



No comments:

Post a Comment