Thursday, October 7, 2010

Thursday, October 7, 2010 - Too blessed to be stressed?

(Inspired by "Jesus Calling" by Sarah Young)


If ever a saying popped up to rain on my spiritual parade this one did it: "I'm too blessed to be stressed." Reverse the saying and I agree wholeheartedly because I'm easily "too stressed to be blessed."  Some days I might as well say, "Lord, I'm too busy figuring all of this out to spend time talking to the One who already has it all figured out." However,  this idea of being "too blessed to be stressed" requires some tweaking in my book. 


First of all, what is stress? Here are some ideas from a variety of online dictionaries: 
    "a physical, mental or emotional factor that causes bodily or mental tension" 
    "the body's reaction to a change that requires a physical, mental or emotional adjustment or response"
    "the body's response to any kind of demand."


According to the experts, stress comes in two flavors: negative and positive. Look up any life-event stressors chart and you'll quickly realize that a stress-free life means a flat line on your heart monitor. Stress-free means nobody in your life exits or enters; no one separates or gathers; no one succeeds or fails; no one and nothing changes.  


I'm sure the saying "too blessed to be stressed" woke someone up in the night because of the truth that counting our blessings (which are forms of change) reduces negative stress and anxiety. I'm also sure the rhyming factor played a huge role because "I'm too blessed to fall into a fetal position" just doesn't have the same ring, does it? I think a more honest and accurate saying for me is "I'm stressed but blessed." I thought about cranking out bumper stickers but that would require a "major business readjustment" (#15 on the stress chart) and my doctor told me to avoid stress. 

Father, You know me inside out so how can I tell you I'm not stressed when I am? But I thank you for owning a house we need to sell. Thank You for a daughter who left home to marry the wonderful man who'll soon be the father of our grandchildren. Thank You for a son who's growing up and growing independent but who loves people and loves to make them laugh. Thank You for a husband so seriously dedicated to being in and doing Your will that he sometimes loses track of time. Thank You for waking me in the night to reassure me, once again, that You are sovereign over this day and all the stress inherent in it. I humbly accept the whole kit and kaboodle - positive and negative - and ask You to help me rejoice and give thanks for every blessing and change. 


In the name of Jesus who relinquished His stress-free life in heaven to change the world forever!

"Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that He may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:6-7


"This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24


"Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:18

1 comment:

  1. I like "Stressed but blessed", I'll remember that!

    May you and Tom and Nick, and Julie and her Nick, have many blessings and few stresses of the negative kind!

    ReplyDelete