Monday, October 25, 2010

Monday, October 25, 2010 - Part of the Furniture

     We can learn a lot about what our perspective on God should be from the people of Israel. At first they'd been in Egypt so long they'd forgotten Him. Then Moses and Aaron came along and reminded them of the Great I AM and they suffered at the hands of Pharaoh. They didn't know God personally so He wasn't worth the suffering to them. They begged Moses to leave them alone in their slavery, but God knew better. Then, they were thrilled to be free and follow the cloud of God's Presence until they came to the edge of the Red Sea and saw Pharaoh's army gaining on them. Again, they wished for the "safety" of slavery. Once delivered, they rejoiced and praised God - until they realized they had to face "giants" to be where God wanted them. Again, they longed for the security of what they knew in the form of slavery. Hunger, thirst, fear - all tempted them to want to return to lives without God. 
     At Mount Sinai they saw and heard God's thundering power and became frightened of Him. From that point they insisted Moses take care of all communication with the Almighty. They distanced themselves from Him in "reverent respect" and heard from Him second hand. Finally, they relegated Him to the Ark of the Covenant and literally put Him in a box which became an important part of the furniture in the tabernacle.  
    Fast forward 40 years to a new generation of people who had never known slavery, were sick of the desert, and who were hungry to move forward in faith. They freed God from their mental boxes and stretched their faith to the point some may have thought them ridiculous (silent marching and trumpet blasts? really?) God became their Champion and the walls fell down.
    Where am I in this cycle? Do I long for the safety of habit, ritual, and mind-numbing busyness? Am I limiting myself to learning second hand from those who are willing to sit with God one-on-One? Or, am I hungry to move forward in faith and follow Him to and through faith-stretching experiences?  He's with me and I don't want Almighty God's Presence in my life to become part of the furniture. 


Father, free Yourself in my life today. Free Your Spirit to move in new ways, or show me how to enjoy life abundantly in the everydayness of this day. You're with me always, but I don't want You to reside faintly in the background of my life. I don't want to be lukewarm.  I want You front and center. Jesus died to tear the veil between You and us - don't let me hang new curtains between us. Flow through my mind like a refreshing stream. Forgive me when I try to enclose You in pretty boxes called "quiet time," "Bible study," or "church." Your Presence is all-pervasive and I praise You for the Living God You are. Have Thine Own Way!
     "Spirit of the Living God, fall fresh on me. 
      Spirit of the Living God, fall fresh on me. 
      Break me. 
      Melt me. 
      Mold me. 
      Fill me. 
      Spirit of the Living God, fall fresh on me."
In the name of Jesus, God in human form, God with us, God of our salvation! 


"'She will give birth to a Son, and you are to give Him the name Jesus, because He will save His people from their sins.' All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: 'The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a Son, and they will call Him Immanuel' --which means, 'God with us'" Matthew 1:21, 23


"'You have made known to me the paths of life; You will fill me with joy in Your Presence.'"Acts 2:28

No comments:

Post a Comment