Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - Ripple Effect

     I wonder what happened to the disciples' families once their heads-of-households and wage-earners started following Jesus. Peter had a wife and a mother-in-law to support and surely, as young as people married in those days, so did some of the others. Did Captain Thunder (James's and John's father) have to hire help down at the fishing docks when his two healthy sons walked away from the family business to follow someone they barely knew? Who took up the slack in Jesus' family when He, the firstborn son, wiped the woodchips off His robe and left the workshop to begin His ministry of preaching, teaching and healing? We know it took some time for Mary and His brothers to adjust because they had to get in line and make an appointment to talk with Him (Matt. 12:46). How did Simon of Cyrene feel about being loaded down with one end of a shameful cross in front of crowds of jeering people? Did he think, "Why me? Why should I have to pay for someone else's choices?"
     Recently someone shared how a man who left his wife and kids to be with another woman said, "I'm only hurting myself."  We know better and so did he. The fact is that all our choices, good and bad, trigger a ripple effect through our circle of family, friends, co-workers, church, and community. In the biblical examples above, people paid for someone else's obedience to God. I've struggled both as the one called and as the one affected by someone else's call and I've found it's easier to be rippled on than to cause the ripple. As a result, I've foolishly tried to keep loved ones from being affected by my calling. After all, if God calls me to do something, I'm the one who should carry the cross from point A to point B, right? But even Jesus needed help, so who am I to say "No thanks, I've got this" to avoid inconveniencing someone?
     All of Tom's and my reservations and questions about answering God's call to move to Arkansas related to the price our parents, our children, and our siblings would have to pay. I can more readily accept that God calls me to pay a price than I can accept someone else may have to pick up part of my tab. Trusting God means knowing if we're obedient, God will make their cost worthwhile. Our job (yours and mine) is to learn to fulfill what God's calling us to do while trusting Him with how the waves we make affect everyone in our circle. He's big enough to use our ripples to carry them blessing after blessing just as He washes blessings over us when He uses them.
We depend on Your sovereignty, perfect knowledge, and love, Lord, to plan our course so others are blessed - by receiving from us, working with us, or filling in the blanks. Guide us to work with one heart, mind and soul toward Your Kingdom purposes. When You call my brothers and sisters in Christ to change course, help me joyfully pitch in and help them fulfill Your call. When it's me You call, Lord, help me accept that others will be affected by YOU - and YOU are good all the time. Remove all the pride in us that says "I'll do it myself" and "I don't need anything from anyone else." All we need is what You decide we need. We rest in Your Power and control.
In the Name of Jesus who allowed Simon of Cyrene to be pay a small price to fulfill His calling,


"As they led Him away, they seized Simon from Cyrene, who was on his way in from the country, and put the cross of him and made him carry it behind Jesus." Luke 23:26


"Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful."" Colossians 4:2


"His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and goodness. Through these He has given us His very great and precious promises, so that  through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires." 2 Peter 1:3-4


Inspired by My Utmost for His Highest and Jesus Calling

No comments:

Post a Comment