Friday, January 7, 2011

Friday, January 7, 2011 - Cucumbers in the Bottom of the Bowl

     Tom and I were married 14 years when I discovered he doesn't like cucumbers.  How had I missed this important detail of my husband's culinary preferences? Did 14 years of cucumbers left in the bottom of his salad bowl not hint loudly enough of his distaste and rejection? What else did he dislike? Had he been suffering in silence over the green beans or the way I made tuna salad? Haunted by this new uncertainty, I suddenly felt I was living with a stranger. I drilled him about everything over the next few weeks until he wished he had left the nasty green things in the bottom of his bowl again instead of saying anything.
     It can be either frightening or exhilarating to think you know someone inside out and then discover you've only scratched the surface. Many of us have heard the basics about Jesus for decades, but how well do we really know Him? Today's My Utmost for His Highest asks, "We receive His blessings and know His Word, but do we know Him?" Our intimate, mutual relationship with Jesus separates us from other religions. He calls us friends and revealed who God is through Himself. Yet, we sometimes live as if we don't know Him. The disciples had performed miracles in Jesus' Name and Power yet still struggled with accepting Who He was and is. "Jesus answered: 'Don't you know Me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen Me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show me the Father?''"John 14:9
     How do I take my relationship with Jesus to the next level? How do I cultivate a deeper intimacy with Him? His Word says He inhabits the praise of His people. Today I will know Jesus better by praising Him and by thanking Him in every circumstance. He's been with me a long time and it's about time to know Him more intimately. It's time see Him for Who He is instead of seeing what my human nature wants to see. It's time to stop ignoring the cucumbers in the bottom of the bowl. 
    Lord, Your Word tells us what we need to know to get to know You better. Remind us to praise You all day long today so You are in our hearts and minds. Open our eyes to see the "real" You and not just the Sunday version we've invented to make us feel better. We'll never know You fully until we're face to Face in heaven but don't let us forfeit the intimacy and friendship we can share with You on earth. You've promised to stay with us always so our opportunities to commune with You are constant. Bless Yourself through our praise, adoration, Love and thanksgiving today.
   You are: Amazing Grace; Beautiful Savior; Constant Companion; Divine; Everlasting Father; Faithful Forever; God of Heaven and Earth; Holy, Holy, Holy; Immanuel and the Great I AM; Jesus, Sweetest Name I Know; King of kings; LORD of lords and Living Water; Mighty God; Name Above All Names; Omnipotent, Omniscient, and Omnipresent; Prince of Peace and Potter; Quilter of My Body and Soul; Royal, Righteous, Redeemer; Soul Satisfying Savior; Teacher; Unique Son of God and Utterly Trustworthy; Valiant and Victorious; Wise Counselor and Wonder-full Worthy God; EXuberant in EXpressing EXtraordinary Love; YAH-WEH, and Zion's Hope -our Zealous Lover.
     
"Yet You are enthroned as the Holy One; You are the praise of Israel." Psalm 22:3


"Praise the LORD. Sing to the LORD a new song, His praise in the assembly of the saints."Psalm 149:1-2


"Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:18



No comments:

Post a Comment