Sunday, January 2, 2011

Sunday, January 2, 2011 - Confidently Clueless

In addition to what God says to me through Jesus Calling, I'm experimenting this year with Scriptures and ideas from a variety of materials, giving credit for inspiration where credit is due at the end of each day's entry.

    Sonny, our cat, started waking up around 3:00 this morning.  I ignored him. When playing possum didn't work I tried stroking and soothing him back to sleep, but he was wide awake and I was getting there. I wondered if God was using the cat to get me up so I asked Him to clarify: "Lord, if You're using Sonny to wake me up because I need more time with You today, make him turn on the radio." The Nolands are blessed with smart pets who train us well. During Zorra's lifetime she taught Sonny to turn on the radio when he wants me to let him out or feed him. My prayer had barely been formed when Sonny marched to the clock radio and starting hunting for the button. He found it and I sat up laughing. It does a body good to hear directly from God.
     We've set our feet in 2011 with high hopes that this will be our year, whatever that means. We're modern Abrahams and Joshuas, called to explore unknown territory where God will lead us to accomplish whatever He wants to do through us (Hebrews 11:8; Joshua 1:9). Abe and Josh were clueless about how God would accomplish His purposes through them, but they followed Him confidently because He promised to be with them every step. Abraham waited well into old age to see the child God promised him and poor Joshua spent forty years wandering the desert with faithless people until God used him to lead the faithful to victory. Each man stepped out without knowing exactly where their feet would land but remained courageously confident God was with him. This is one of my prayers for personal growth for the new year: to live confidently in the Lord my God when I'm clueless about what He's doing or how He'll do it.
   Lord God, thank You that we're clueless about what the year, the week and even the day holds.  You know we can't handle too much information or we start making lists, planning, and generally getting in Your way. We look to You to fulfill Your promises in us and to use us as only You can. Thrill our hearts as we get to know You intimately. Astonish us today. Lift our minds and hearts above this world to seek Your Face. Turn our bodies into sweet chapels where we worship You in uninterrupted communion.
In the Name of Jesus Who led His disciples into unknown territory for three years and changed the world.
  

"Look to the LORD and His strength; seek His face always." Psalm 105:4

"By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going." Hebrews 11:8


"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9


inspired by My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers and Jesus Calling by Sarah Young

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your post. I have heard through the message Sunday, and Sunday school, that I too need to listen! I have also heard repeatedly that I am NEVER ALONE! I have been searching for what God wants me to do, and I guess I haven't been listening enough! Bob Sanders told me of your blog this Sunday.

    I have had health problems for some time now, that have prevented me from singing in the choir, but I plan to rejoin soon! My son also plans to join the orchestra on Wednesday! He plays the tuba.

    I will be seeing more of you soon. Thanks again for the post. And if you haven't already heard it, check out the song 'Never Alone' by Barlow Girl. I really get comfort from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete