Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sunday, January 16, 2011 - Ringtones

     One of Nick's friends set the ringer on his cell phone to play the ominous Darth Vader theme song when his father calls. I keep meaning to check Nick's phone to make sure he hasn't set his to play "Witchy Woman" or the theme from "Jaws" to play when I call him. 
     This line of thought led me to wonder what song I would set my phone to play when God calls if He started calling us via cell phone. After all, cell phones are often the best way for me to get my child's attention and vice-versa. Yesterday, Tom called me when he was in the family room and I was in the back of the house. When we're riding in the car I feel my phone buzz, look down and see that Nick has texted me "Hi." Silly as it is, it gets my attention. Maybe we become accustomed to having God with us and we tune Him out so He calls us in some new way to get our full attention.
     While running through some ringtone options for God's call, I realized my song choice depends on what I think of God and how I perceive His character. People who see God as the Mighty Zapper would choose something ominous or frightening while those who've experienced Him as Father, Love, Protection and Peace would choose from a different play-list. God's ringtone would also let others know what I think of Him so I decided on "Shout to the Lord," "Blessed Assurance" or "Joyful, Joyful"  to best represent who God is to me. Finally, I couldn't help but wonder how I would respond when I heard God's ringtone. There would be no mistaking Who was calling, so would I drop everything to answer the call or would I choose to call back at my convenience? 
       Lord, You've called us to do certain things continuously: teach and preach the gospel to lost people; disciple saved people; feed the hungry; care for the poor, the orphans and the widows. You call all of us to display the fruit of Your Spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self-control. You call us to forgive and to live in unity and harmony with our brothers and sisters in Your family. You call us to use the gifts You've given us, and You call us to come away with You and rest as You refresh us. Help us fulfill the calls You've already made and to answer eagerly when You call us to some special, personal opportunity or challenge. Guide us to trust Your character and know that whatever You call us to do is from Your heart of Love and holiness. 
In the Name of Jesus who called many to follow Him and 12 men to carry on His world mission

"Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, 
'Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?'  
And I said, 'Here am I. Send me!'" 
Isaiah 6:8

  "Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 
Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, 
and you will find rest for your souls. 
For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." 
Matthew 11:28-30
"No one will be able to stand up against you all the days of your life. 
As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; 
I will never leave you nor forsake you."
"Have I not commanded you? 
Be strong and courageous. 
Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, 
for the LORD you God  will be with you wherever you go." 
Joshua 1:5, 9
Inspired by My Utmost for His Highest and Jesus Calling

No comments:

Post a Comment