Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sunday, January 9, 2011 - Land Mines

     Sometimes I envy people who don't dream or who don't remember their dreams. Mine haunt me because I realize they're fragments of me I rarely understand and don't care to know exist. Last night I dreamed I borrowed a car, let a juvenile drive it to the church, then took over and couldn't park the thing uphill (the church was built into the side of a mountain) so I went to the church's parking garage which turned out to be a huge round dome-like room decorated with artwork and with shelves displaying artwork. I was suddenly on a bicycle and proceeded to race around the ceiling jumping from shelf to shelf and from painting to painting as I descended from the top of the dome to the floor of the room where I explained to a little boy that he shouldn't try this at home. All interpretations are welcome.
     Unfortunately, I don't have to be asleep to think and do disturbing things. When least expected, my old, carnal self explodes like a land-mine from within the dark side of my personality with some judgmental, perverse, or mean-spirited thought. My motives scream selfishness and pride.  Sometimes I'm overwhelmed with all the untapped regions in me God allows to erupt so I can surrender them to His purifying power. Satan and my old self are working hard to make me say "I give up" or "I can't be perfect so I'm not even going to try," but God's Word says "If God is for us, who can be against us?" I've read the end of the Book and I know who wins so I refuse to become another tally mark on Satan's list of discouraged believers. God's Word says He is our Refuge and Strength no matter how often we step on a land-mine. God's Word says He can and will sanctify us through and through (1 Thess. 5:23) and God's Word says one day Satan's schemes are going to blow up in his face. BOO-YA!
Sovereign, Ruling Lord, The God Who has already defeated death and who will one day erase evil from the universe, I worship You. You are Righteous and Holy and all Your ways with us are loving and purposeful. More than anything, I want everything in me to line up with Your Righteousness and Your Purpose. Like the Psalmist, I invite You to explore the heights and depths, the microscopic and the obvious about me (Psalm 139:23-24) and help me realign everything in me to Your Way everlasting. 
In the Name of Jesus Who lined up perfectly both horizontally with man's needs and vertically with Your Purpose. 

"May God Himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ." 
1 Thessalonians 5:23
"What, then shall we say in response to this? 
If God is for us, who can be against us?" 
Romans 8:31
"God is our Refuge and Strength, an Ever-Present Help in trouble. 
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way 
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, 
though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging." 
Psalm 46:1-3
"Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. 
See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."
Psalm 139:23-24


inspired by My Utmost for His Highest and Jesus Calling

No comments:

Post a Comment