Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 - Narrowing the Field

      Tom's a big picture person but I'm easily overwhelmed with too many options. Deciding what to have for dinner when the freezer's full is a big deal for me so you can imagine what car lots with colorful balloons and warehouse stores do to me. When it's time to buy a car, a computer, a printer, or anything else which involves hundreds of options, my sweet husband does the preliminary shopping and narrows the playing field before taking me along for the final decision.
     Serving and ministering in a world filled with needy people overwhelms me, too. When we first moved to Daphne, we lived on a circle with approximately 35 homes. Only a couple of people on the street had introduced themselves to us and from what we could gather and observe, many families were unchurched and lost. I had found my mission field and immediately started trying to figure out how to reach my neighbors for Christ. My tendency to feel overwhelmed led me to pray a new prayer: "God, I don't know where to begin so You bring the neighbors to our doorstep that You want me to minister to and serve. Make our home a lighthouse for You and each time the doorbells rings or someone knocks help me remember You brought them to the door for Your purposes. I'm trusting You." That week our home became a neighborhood hot spot for teenagers on the street and I can't remember exactly how it all started. One girl knocked on the door for a school fundraiser and another brought our dog home when he got out of the fence, and from there all heaven broke loose. A group of them started going to church with our family and most were saved as a result. God narrowed the field then harvested it and turned our neighbors into new family.    


I trust You, Jesus, with the assignment You've given me for today and I trust You on days there seems to be no assignment. I trust You. Help me represent You well. You are the Great I AM - Creator and Sustainer of the universe. You love me with a Love I can't begin to understand or absorb. You want to use me for Your Glory so I trust You to do that today. I'm stepping aside for You to shine. Encourage some loving prayer warriors and faith heroes today. Shine Your Light into the dark hopelessness of someone who's lost. You don't call us to accomplish anything alone: in fact, Your Word assures us we can do NOTHING without You  - except dig pits we'll fall into at some point.  Because You are with me, speaking through me and pouring Your Holy Spirit through me, someone besides me will be blessed and encouraged. Thank You for that assurance. I trust You, Jesus.
"See, the Sovereign LORD comes with power, and His arm rules for Him. 
See, His reward is with Him, and His recompense accompanies Him. 
He tends His flock like a shepherd: 
He gathers the lambs in His arms and carries them close to His heart; 
He gently leads those that have young."
 Isaiah 40:10-11
"Don’t you have a saying, ‘It’s still four months until harvest’? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest." John  4:35

inspired by My Utmost for His Highest and Jesus Calling

No comments:

Post a Comment