Sunday, January 16, 2011

Saturday, January 15, 2011 - Cliffhanger

    The term "cliffhanger" refers to the practice of leaving readers or viewers in suspense to insure they'll be back for more. Almost every action film includes a literal cliffhanger scene in which the "cliff" can be any perilous situation imaginable. If you watch the eyes of the one hanging on, you can almost always tell whether the rescue will be successful or not. Those who maintain focus and look up or who look for the way out usually make it and those who insist on looking down in sheer terror and panic . . .well, they got paid for being in half the movie. 
     Peter, a man of action, experienced plenty of cliffhangers in his walk with Jesus, but none more memorable than his walk on the water. He started out well but after a few steps he broke eye contact with Jesus to look down and around and started thinking, "What was I thinking? People can't walk on water and I'm a "people!"  As a youth, my favorite lesson from this story was Peter's courageous example and willingness to be the only disciple to trust Jesus and get out of the boat. Peter taught me that my new life in Christ meant I had already chosen to get out of the "safe" boat christened "What Other People Do" and had begun my walk to get closer to Jesus and His Will. Getting out of the boat means dying to our safety and comfort for the sake of other people while learning to desensitize ourselves to what they think of our choice to get out of the boat. 
     Now, with years of false starts and unsupported enthusiasm under my belt, I know I tend to start toward Jesus only to get into another "safe" boat, filled with believers who say, "I walked this far and it was great but I'm not getting back out there to have my faith battered again. Let's just huddle here and hope and pray others join us." While the new boat is a little closer to Jesus, it's not right there with Him, not where you and I want to be. When we trust God in something big and get out of whatever boat we find ourselves, we'll experience moments of sheer terror when we think, "What was I thinking? It was safe in the boat, you idiot. People don't step out of "safety" in times like these!" Yes, Peter did the right thing by asking Jesus first, then trusting His Master enough to put both feet on the water. He also did the right thing in the middle of his panic by calling to Jesus when he was "beginning to sink" rather than waiting until he was swallowing water. Although I sometimes let panic drive me into the nearest boat, my heart beats to crave the adventure of living between boats, from one cliffhanger to the next. I want to follow Peter's example and step out then call to Jesus when I begin to sink, trusting He'll reach out and lift me to His side where I'm safer than in any boat. 
Master, others are braver than I am. I do love safety and comfort, but help me let go of these "necessities" for the sake of Your kingdom. Help me maintain eye contact and love the feel of You lifting me out of the waves to Your side. Remind me to call You in my panic rather than racing to the nearest boat. I don't want to settle for a humdrum life when You've written cliffhangers into my script. Teach us to love You and others enough to sacrifice anything You ask us to sacrifice.
In the Name of Jesus who hung on the cross for our sakes
"We were therefore buried with Him through baptism into death in order, that just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life." Romans 6:4

"And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard our hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:7

"But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, 'Lord, save me!'" Matthew 14:30

"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the Author and Perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." Hebrews 12:2
Inspired by Jesus Calling and My Utmost for His Highest
Photo by Robin Noland, Isle of Capri, Italy

No comments:

Post a Comment