Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 - Only One Checkout Line Is Moving

"He who trusts in himself is a fool, but he who walks in wisdom is kept safe." 
Proverbs 28:26

     I enjoy using the self-check lines at supermarkets now that most of the kinks have been worked out of the system.  When these checkout lines first appeared I needed constant assistance, but now, with only a few items, I finish fairly quickly.  Sometimes I try to take my sin through a self-check line by evaluating and paying what I think is a fair price. However, there always seems to be more in the buggy than I bargained for and I'm in over my head. I want to handle my sin my way, in my time, and privately, but the price is too high and I need assistance and forgiveness I simply can't give myself. 
     The New Living Translation clearly puts everyone in the same checkout line to pay for sin because we can't do it for ourselves. 
"for all have sinned; all fall short of God's glorious standard. 
Yet now God in His gracious kindness declares us not guilty. 
He has done this through Christ Jesus, Who has freed us by taking away our sins.
 For God sent Jesus to take the punishment for our sins 
and to satisfy God's anger against us." 
Romans 3:23-25

"  . . . Can we boast, then, that we have done anything to be accepted by God? No, because our acquittal is not based on our good deeds. It is based on our faith."  
Romans 3:27
Hand Jesus our faith and He hands us our receipt. No check list, coupons, magic number of good deeds, or intensely good intentions can pay for even the "smallest" sin we've committed. We can't jump high enough to reach God's standard of righteousness, but we also can't stoop too low for Jesus' payment to cover us.  "All" means "all" and God gave Jesus to all of us as the only Way to pay for our sins - whether many or few, whether heinous and outward or hateful and inward. 
     Jesus mercifully paid it all for all of us. He'll leave no one behind who trusts Him, but He'll also leave all behind who insist on paying their own way.
"I have trusted in Your mercy; my heart shall rejoice in Your salvation."
Psalm 13:5


     Lord Jesus, thank You that my forgiveness and future are in Your Hands. Your mercy, undeserved without question, lifts my heart to rejoice in Your salvation.  You knew we couldn't pay and You came to show us the straight and narrow Way of faith in You. Help us help others find Your Way as well. May we give You all credit for everything good!
In Your own precious Name, Jesus, our Salvation

No comments:

Post a Comment