Saturday, October 15, 2011

Saturday, October 15, 2011 - Treasuring the Treasure

"How can a young person stay pure?
By obeying Your word and following its rules." 
Psalm 119:9
One of my favorite quotes from the movie "Courageous" takes place when one of the fathers tells his 15 year old daughter, "Boys want to win your heart, but they don't know how to treasure it."  
     God the Father sees how vulnerable we are to those who would intentionally or unintentionally mangle or break our hearts and gave us His promises of protection in His Word. However, His unchanging Word, like a prescription or an action plan, only works when opened, learned, trusted and applied to our changing situations. We're to spend each pearl of wisdom and gilt every action with His commands. 
     Can I say I treasure the protection and promises God's given me? Am I burying His unchanging truths in my heart to avoid breaking His?  My obedience to His Word is the true measure of my love for Him.  


"I have hidden Your word in my heart, that I might not sin against You." 
Psalm 119:11
"Your decrees are my treasure; they are truly my heart's delight."
Psalm 119:111
"Truly, I love Your commands more than gold, even the finest gold."
119:127


"Those who obey My commandments are the ones who love Me. 
And because they love Me, My Father will love them, and I will love them. 
And I will reveal Myself to each one of them." 
John 14:21

"Forever, O LORD, Your word stands firm in heaven." 
Psalm 119:89

"But You are near, O LORD, and all Your commands are true. 
I have known from my earliest days that Your decrees never change." 
Psalm 119:151-152

Father, Your Word is Living and Active. Infinite God, we can't diminish or get to the bottom of Your treasure of Truth.  Teach us how to anchor each day in Your Word. May our hearts be drawn constantly to what You reveal to us in Your Word. Teach us to treasure and anchor our lives in Your commands, trusting You to protect us from despair and darkness. You gave us Your Word and, too often, we leave it unopened and unapplied because we fear change. Strengthen our hearts to long for Your transforming Sword of Truth to reshape us. 
In the Name of Jesus Who said, "Those who obey My commandments are the ones who love Me."

No comments:

Post a Comment