Monday, October 3, 2011

Monday, October 3, 2011 - Mercy!

Today, I'm substituting for Honors Chemistry and Honors Physics at the High School. Yep. I'm in over my head, but I hope to learn something. I was a good student in high school but not a brilliant student.  My A's and B's resulted from a lot of studying and innumerable tutoring sessions. There were times I felt math, science, and economics teachers were speaking the same language the teachers in the Charlie Brown specials spoke: Wha, wha, waa, wha waaa?  No matter how hard I listened, I didn't seem to be able to interpret. If it hadn't been for the mercy of good friends who spoke on my level and patiently tutored me, I would have been a C and D student in these subjects.  However, when it came to history, English and French, the tables turned and it was my turn to show mercy by making time to help others learn what came easily to me. 
     Mercy is mandatory if we're to be Christlike. Showing mercy is God's nature, but it's a trait that doesn't come easily to those of us who need constant mercy. Jesus poured out mercy on all frail human beings and to the strong ones who blew it. Mercy's for those who don't get why something is important to us and for those who understand but trample it anyway. Mercy's for those who take their frustrations out on others and for those who bear other people's frustrations. To be Christlike, we must stop like the Good Samaritan to help the weak ones catch up.  
"If we confess our sins, 
He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."  
1 John 1:9


"I will glorify Your Name forevermore, for great is Your mercy toward me."
Psalm 86:12-13

"I thank You for answering my prayer and saving me!"  
Psalm 118:21

"Bend down, O LORD, and hear my prayer; answer me, for I need Your help." Psalm 86:1
Help me show mercy to all who need it today in whatever form they need it, Lord.  If it's help, strengthen me to help. If it's forgiveness, soften my heart to forgive. If it's understanding, still my mind and hands to listen. Thank You that mercy is Who You are and we never have to kick the dog because You won't listen. Open us to Your filling and may mercy become who we are, too.
In the Name of Jesus, King of Mercy

No comments:

Post a Comment