Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 - Faithful Doesn't Mean Monotonous

"Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness." 
 Lamentations 3:22-23


     While studying this week's vocabulary words yesterday Nick asked me what "monotonous" meant.  Sometimes I wonder if he's sorry he asks because I love how all the pieces of languages connect and I'm a bit overenthusiastic, like the Greek father in the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding." I reeled off my boisterous response and our discussion went like this:


Me: "'Mono' means 'one' or 'single' and 'tonous' is like 'tone' so it's like Ben Stein's voice - one tone, unexciting. 
Nick: "K." (Not even an "O" for that k, but I was getting wound up.)
Me: 'Monopoly' means one person controls everything. We're MONOtheists because we believe in one God," (I know a teachable moment when I see one, even if there's no "O" with the "k.")
Nick: "So, I'm a monotheist?" 
Me: "Yes, because you believe in one God instead of many gods." 
Nick: "Cool."  
Our lessons are short, but sweet. 


Father, You are the One God of the universe Who never changes, yet boring and monotone aren't Your style. You send new blessings daily. You think of more ways to thrill us than we can soak up in a lifetime so forgive us when we're blind to Your gifts of love. You forgive our offenses faithfully, but always with fresh love.  We can't reach the bottom of Your mercy, love or forgiveness. When our devotion to You grows stale and we begin to take You for granted or feel there's a more exciting life out there, open our hearts to see the difference between faithful and monotonous. Pour Yourself over us and through us because without Your faithful love, we would die in our sin.
In the Name of Jesus Who left the glory of heaven to deal with our same old, monotonous sin problem
"Praise the LORD, all you nations; extol Him, all you peoples. 
For great is His love toward us, and the faithfulness of the LORD endures forever." 
Psalm 117:1-2

""I delight greatly in the LORD; my soul rejoices in my God. 
For He has clothed me with garments of salvation 
and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness, 
as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, 
and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels." 
Psalm 61:10

"Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my  life, 
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever." 
Psalm 23:6







No comments:

Post a Comment