Sunday, October 30, 2011

October 30, 2011 - Double-blink wink

"For the truth about God is known to them instinctively. 
God has put this knowledge in their hearts."
Romans 1:19 
(The Message)

"But when you pray, go away by yourself, shut the door behind you, and pray to your Father secretly.  Then your Father, Who knows all secrets, will reward you." 
Matthew 6:6
 (The Message)

     God blessed me with some amazing teachers along my educational journey, even if I did have to deal with a couple of sadists.  I think I felt connected to teachers and professors because, as shy as I was, deep down I connected with their calling to teach.  Sometimes I would be working on the assignment along with 30 other students in the room only to glance up and make eye contact with the teacher. Sometimes, I would receive an unexpected smile, wink, or, in one case, a two-eye wink.  All of these gestures sent me back to work with the warm feeling that teachers were generally good people who wanted to help me succeed, in spite of their high expectations.  
     I bought a book for Nick and me to read together called When God Winks at You, by Squire Rushnell.  His subtitle sold me: "How God Speaks Directly to You Through the Power of Coincidence,"  since Nick and I have been discussing how to know when God is speaking to us.  The book contains story after story of situations which only a Mighty and Sovereign God could have orchestrated.  
     Many of these blog entries describe what Rushnell calls "Godwinks:" incidents when God answers a prayer, reveals He's watching us, and directs some action squarely at our hearts.  Some stories detail a lifelong mission while others served as turning points or anchors to help people hold on through tough times. If we flippantly or insistently call these Godwinks "coincidence" we miss God's affection, revelation that He's working in our lives, and that He wants to bless us in every way imaginable to keep us close to Him as we.  
     Yesterday He confirmed to Nick and me that what we're reading applies to us as well. Nick has mentioned in the last two or three days that he likes the color orange.  I took note for any future purchases in his behalf (birthday coming up!).  He also dreams of owning, or at least driving, a  Lamborghini.  In fact he has collected every Lamborghini Hot Wheels makes, or so he thought.  However, while waiting on a prescription yesterday I roamed down the toy aisle, casually glancing through the Hot Wheels for any new Lamborghinis hanging on the peg board. There was only one that didn't look familiar to me. Of course it was a beautiful shad of orange, not garish or safety orange but a smooth egg-yolk orange. What other color would it be? Not only did Nick not own this model, he had never seen it before in all his perusing in the stores we visit.  So, who was this wink for: me, the mama who scored big with my son by locating this priceless ninety-nine cent treasure? Or, Nick, who's been asking, "How do you know when God's speaking to you?" as he seeks to know God better?  In my opinion, God did a double-blink wink.


Thank You God for the thousands upon thousands of winks You've sent my way.  You constantly speak Your Love and affection to us in personal ways. Help us to stay vigilant to both receiving them and to obeying the prompts You send us so others may receive them. May we offer You our best efforts of praise and thanksgiving today. 
In the Name of Jesus Who wanted us to pray secretly so we would know You, and no one else, is answering us 

No comments:

Post a Comment