Tuesday, October 11, 2011

October 11, 2011 - Stir and Spur

"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds." 
Hebrews 10:24     

     I pranked a group of fifth graders yesterday.  When I sub in the elementary schools, I almost always use my French language skills to get and keep their interest and cooperation throughout the day, but yesterday, the group of kids I pranked unwittingly encouraged me to keep speaking French. They were fearless in the face of a foreign language and Monday math class with a sub became an adventure.  
    What began with simple greetings to the students as they entered the classroom turned into an hour of me speaking French and them doing their math assignments. Their enthusiastic responses to having a "French" substitute erased all English words from my mind.  At first they stared at me and grinned uncertainly at each other and asked the usual questions ("Are you French?" "What's my name in French?" and "How do you say ______ in French?"), but I saw one student working on the math sheet I had handed out so I walked over to check his progress.  For every right answer on his page I said something positive in French with a big smile.  Amazingly, the rest of them jumped to their work so I would offer them some personal encouragement in French.  
     What an amazing group of courageous kids! How many adults would've handled that situation as well?  So many people miss the adventure in life because they're afraid they won't understand or rise to what's expected of them. And what about the mutual encouragement we have for one another? Their obvious interest and excitement emboldened me to do something I hadn't done before and my " Excellent!"  "Bon!" and "Tu es intelligent(e)!" encouraged them to work harder. They didn't even mind me correcting them in French when they missed a problem.  
     Do you know how much power you have to encourage someone today? A few words, a hug, a smile that reaches into your eyes? There's no telling what adventure you might embark on together by sparking the boldness in someone else. God calls His children to stir up our own God-given gifts and to spur others to do the same. 


"This is why I remind you to fan into flames the spiritual gift God gave you 
when I laid my hands on you." 

2 Timothy 1:6



"For I know your eagerness to help, and I have been boasting about it to the Macedonians, telling them that since last year you in Achaia were ready to give; and your enthusiasm has stirred most of them to action."
 2 Corinthians 9:2

Father, connect us to one another by Your Spirit so amazing things result from the stirring and spurring between us. Lead us to bravely let You open our hearts and minds to new adventures. We're stuck in ruts - pop us out of them and use us to help others devote themselves completely to You as well.
In the Name of Jesus, the One Whose Courage and Power inspired a world-wide spiritual awakening!

No comments:

Post a Comment