Friday, October 28, 2011

Friday, October 28, 2011 - Blinders


"Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."
Psalm 139:23-24
    My "Aha!" moment this week came to me through something David Akin said during one of his sermons at FBC Benton this week:  "God looks at eternity the way we look at yesterday." 
     I had a glimpse of eternity last night.  I was a bit moody and tired after leaving Julie, Nick and Addy at the airport, so when 8:30 p.m. rolled around and it was time to get Nick from a Halloween party at school, I was mildly irritated that I had to drive at night in the rain. Tom, our usual runner of nighttime or rainy day errands, didn't feel well and had taken non non-drowsy medicine and gone to bed.  As soon as I was on the other side of  the door I had just banged shut, I stopped in my tracks and berated myself for my rotten attitude in the face of so many blessings. I quickly and thoroughly repented - and prayed God would heal Tom while I was at it.  Looking back, I know why God wanted me to get Nick. We were both experiencing "post-part-'em blues" and needed mutual comfort. My ride home with Nick opened the door for one of the most bonding, precious, rewarding, and delightful times I've spent with my son. 
     God saw it coming, but I had to look back to get a glimpse of eternity.  
     Lord, remove our selfish blinders and help us see how You're using our "present" to build the future You want us to experience. I know we can't know everything and we can't handle knowing much, but keep us keenly aware of the potential purpose for everything that happens in our lives. Looking back, the signs are as clear as the high definition of a blu-ray movie, but we only see what becomes apparent after the fact. For You, Eternal, Mighty, Knowing God, the outcomes are already as clear as if they'd happened yesterday: All mysteries are solved. Help our unbelief; teach us to trust You more deeply with more of the details of our lives.
In the Name of Jesus Who reigned in heaven before Time began

"All the days ordained for me were written in Your book before one of them came to be. How precious to me are Your thoughts, O God!
How vast the sum of them!"
Psalm 139:17

If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there Your hand will guide me, Your right hand will hold me fast."  
Psalm 139:9-10


No comments:

Post a Comment