Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 - Your Attention, Please!

     I learn something from each person God brings into my life. Some lessons are pointed and painful like the time a friend told me in love but quite forcefully that my pride was the reason I had an upset stomach and felt like falling apart every time I sang or spoke in church. Pride kept me focused on myself, how prepared I felt or didn't feel, whether or not I would remember the words, and ultimately, what people would think of me. My friend was right: I hadn't seen how my pride, in the form of worrying about myself and what others thought, had taken my attention off of glorifying God. Yuck. Tough lesson. 
     Other lessons are less direct but just as effective. During a conversation with one lady I realized I was darting my eyes around the room as she talked because she started getting closer to me and practically bouncing into my line of vision wherever I looked. It hit me that although I was standing perfectly still in front of her, I wasn't giving her my full attention. I was too busy looking around the room to see who else was there. My focus immediately centered on her and for a second she calmed down but I must have overdone it because she didn't know how to respond to all that attention and made a hasty retreat. Go figure! 
     Paul told us to stop darting our eyes around at the temporary tangible concerns of this life and "fix" our eyes on "what is unseen" and "eternal." Forget what your mother taught you in this case: it's not only acceptable to stare, it's commanded that we stare at God. We're allowed to obsess over Him. He's to preoccupy our thoughts no matter what else we're doing. We're to open the eyes of our hearts and spirits to see His eternal purposes for each temporary and menial task. He cares about the list on the fridge and the bills on the desk. He calls us to stay keenly aware of His Presence and in tune with His loving concern over every facet of our lives, from the sublime to the ridiculously mundane. Why else would He tell us to call on Him morning, noon and night and to pray about everything - "without ceasing?" 
     What would happen if we fixate on keeping Christ in view no matter what or who is standing in front of us? How would Christmas be different if we carry on every conversation and complete every act of service with an awakened sense of Him standing with us? How would our lives change if we dropped everything, especially our pride, to stop and stare at Him? What could we accomplish for the kingdom of God if we couldn't take our eyes off of Him?  He's not going to jump up and down but He does ask for our attention, our full attention, please.
   Always-Present Lord, I want to know the answers to these questions. I want to know what You can do with someone like me if I stay fixed on You and through Your churches when we put You between us and everything else. Awaken our spirits to eternal things, especially in this season of materialism. Strengthen us to keep You at the heart of every conversation and every activity. Plan each day for us. Broaden our vision to see Your purposes and to act on Your Word even when we don't see Your purpose. Mighty God, may we,Your people, obsess over You and Your will. May the world see the difference our Everywhere-God makes when we give You our full attention! 


In the Name of Jesus, the only One who lived His life completely and totally fixed on You!


"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows." Matthew 10:29-31


"By faith Abraham, when God tested him, offered Isaac as a sacrifice. He who had received the promises was about to sacrifice his one and only son," Hebrews 11:17


"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:18

No comments:

Post a Comment