Monday, December 27, 2010

Monday, December 27, 2010 - Eyes Wide Open

     When I told Daddy I needed to find a wifi hotspot to post this morning’s blog, he raised his eyebrows and asked, “You have to work on vacation?” I thought about taking this week off but then I would be asking God to be quiet for six days. Scary and not happening.
      We traveled 11 hours and visited four states other than Arkansas on our trip from Benton to my parents in Jefferson, GA. We told Nick he might see snow on the trip for the first time in his 12-year-old life but there was none in Little Rock, none in Memphis, none in Tupelo and none in Birmingham. We were on the long, dark stretch of I-20 between Birmingham and Atlanta when we considered stopping for the night. The moon peeped out from behind a cloud just long enough to light a field to the right of us and I sat up straight and waited. Peering through the glass to make sure, I said, “Nick look outside.” Since he didn’t know what he was looking for, I guided him to notice how the ground and trees glowed in an unusual way. The light came on and he asked “Snow?”  When I confirmed his suspicions he commented on the irony of seeing his first snow in Alabama. After all, we moved from living 12 snow-less winters in Alabama then returned as visitors and found it.
     We had to stop  to play in the snow. So, in spite of the cold and the late hour, we found an exit with no traffic and pulled into a church drive. Nick was out and in it, grinning from ear to ear. Tom did the protective man thing and checked out the area we had chosen. Little Mac, undaunted by the white stuff, made his own explorations. The church sign for  New Hope Baptist Church lit the snow where we played with the message “Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.” I walked up the drive singing “Winter Wonderland” and thanking God I could sing it in the right setting. When I turned back toward Nick I saw the back of the church sign had a different message. There, glowing just for me were the words  “May all your dreams come true.”  Of all the great ways God as some great ways to communicate with me but the most unexpected is when He just comes out and says it. He allowed us to be a part of the snowy celebration. He woke us up and refreshed us to finish our journey and when we arrived at my parents’ house, we trudged (yes, I can use that word!) through snow to get to the door with our luggage, laughing all the way.
     This morning I stepped into the sun room to see the barn across the field wearing a snowy roof as a gusty wind blew snow mists across the yard. I fully expected one of today’s verses to be about snow but again, I can’t keep up with God. Instead, today’s verses provide a lovely three-stranded bow for these extra gifts: God acts in our behalf, He’s made us clean like fresh-fallen snow; and just when we stop chasing dreams He surprises us with our eyes wide open.

Father, while other people give up on their greedy gods, we keep reaping Your Love and Joy. Thank You for snow this Christmas and for surprises that still thrill. Thank You for beauty and the sense to appreciate it when we see it. May we never be too sophisticated to make snow angels or to take in Your seasonal gifts. Thank You for making us clean. Help us trust Your way for us and to catch every personal message You etch along the way. We trust You enough to know You can accomplish all You want to accomplish through us and bless us as You do so. I love you, Lord Jesus, and I thank You for making dreams come true.
In the Name of Jesus, who taught us to be childlike and to appreciate our God who gives good gifts!
 “Since ancient times no one has heard, no ear has perceived, no eye has seen any God besides You, Who acts on behalf of those who wait for Him.”  Isaiah 64:4

“You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you.”John 15:3

“For with You is the fountain of life; in Your Light we see light.” Psalm 36:9

1 comment: