Sunday, December 12, 2010

Sunday, December 12, 2010 - That Was RaNdOm

     A new friend here in Benton called one day and wanted to know if I'd like to ride to Little Rock with her to run an errand and to get some lunch. After receiving my enthusiastic two thumbs up on the opportunity of a visit, she asked, "Do you like Mexican?"  Doesn't everybody? So off we went. As she drove on back roads that were new to me, I filed shortcuts, street names, and store locations in my brain for later use. We arrived at the restaurant and I laughed at the gall of someone who'd take the minister of music's wife to a place called "Senor Tequila." Then I tasted the fajita chicken nachos, stopped laughing and started praising God for the wisdom He gave the entire history of Mexican culinary geniuses who contributed to the perfection of this dish. My reputation was at stake, but I no longer cared.
   The next day I had an important appointment early in Little Rock with the agency that provides substitutes for our county. I was thrilled to see that Map Quest revealed my destination was in the same neighborhood we visited on our excursion. In fact, the building I needed was located next door to the infamous Senor Tequila. My "spur of the moment," random lunch date ended up being part of God's plan to get me where I needed to be on time the next day without the added worry and stress of navigating new territory. I drove to my appointment feeling God's Arms around me and I praised Him for His loving control over the details in my life. I thanked Him for my friend who had followed His prompting, not knowing her invitation would be a two-day blessing. And, yes, I thanked Him for using even Senor Tequila to show me the way. 


Sovereign God, You make me laugh with joy when You let me see how You've put together a day filled with bits and pieces that all make divine sense in the end. Help me trust You when it takes longer than two days to see the big picture. Guide me to rest in Your care and bless You with my faith. My little brain can't begin to see all the ways You're working around me and for me. Forgive me when I'm miffed or panicked that something goes "wrong," as if my Almighty, Unlimited Father isn't on top of things. Help me accept the bumps in the road for which I can't see an immediate purpose. I want to trust You completely as You weave them into Your pattern and plan for my good and Your glory.


In the Name of Jesus, Whom Mary and Martha questioned for waiting so long to come to the side of their sick brother. 


"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28


"Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation? Tell Me, if you understand. who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know! Who stretched a measuring line across it?" Job 38:4-7


"Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7


"We live by faith, not by sight." 2 Corinthians 5:7

No comments:

Post a Comment