Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - Because He Lives

     Yesterday I had to face two experiences I've never had to face before. First, we had to decide whether to put our black diva cat Zorra to sleep or help her face a future in which she would have no quality of life. She had been hit in the back legs and both legs were broken (one was shattered) and her pelvic bone was crushed. She hobbled home Sunday after we missed her for two days, dragging her back end to get here. Not knowing the extent of the damage at the time, we coddled and cuddled her and she patted my face with her paw, glad to be home and out of the dangers of freezing weather and speeding cars. The next day Tom dropped her off at the vet's office, hoping they could simply put a splint on the leg that was obviously broken but the news we received later wasn't good. After seeing the xray and hearing the prognosis, we knew there was only one choice. I was determined to be with her when she left us because she deserved that much after entertaining us and loving us so well over the years. Again, she let me know she was glad to see me and we visited a bit. I held her head in my hand as our vet did the rest. It was over quickly and quietly and I cried most of the rest of the day. 
     My second run-in with death put the cat in perspective. We walked into the funeral home for Baby Lyla's visitation and there she lay in a little casket hardly bigger than a shoe box. She was like a porcelain doll in the gorgeous bright pink dress her parents had selected, black headband and bow, black patent leather shoes, little tights, a bracelet and a white heart necklace. Her mama, Brittany, was wearing the other half of the necklace - a larger white heart with a heart shaped hole in the center: part of a mother's heart now missing. Baby Lyla was a miracle. She wasn't supposed to make it through the delivery, or live more than a day or two, or survive the surgery much less the removal of her life support. She is the perfect example of how God designed our bodies and spirits to fight death and live. 
  Death could appear to be the winner if we haven't yet turned the page. While we are designed to survive, God tells us to rest from the struggle because there's more than this life.  We could see life on earth as meaningless when death shakes our world and steals those we love. God says, "I am the same through eternity and I'm waiting in all My Glory on the other side of this door that seems dark and strange to you." God's final victory is the reason we can keep living and know life and death have meaning and serve a purpose in His eternal time line. 
Father, hearts are broken now but time will show us the purpose of our suffering. May we always be tender toward one another and not grow calloused to the suffering and death of others. You are never callous to people. Guide us to rejoice that our hearts feel and hurt when they should. Help us love those who are with us and who need love. May we live with purpose because You are God.
In the Name of Jesus who loved and blessed the little children.




Because He lives, I can face tomorrow.
Because He lives, all fear is gone.
Because I know He holds the future
And life is worth the living just because He lives. 


And then one day, I'll cross the river,
I'll fight life's final war with pain;
And then, as death gives way to vict'ry,
I'll see the lights of glory and I'll know He live
s!



"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." Hebrews 13:8


"Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless!" Ecclesiastes 1:2


"In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:6

No comments:

Post a Comment