Saturday, December 11, 2010

Saturday, December 11, 2010 -"Hark! An Angel This Way Cometh!"

     The Christmas I learned to trust God with details about a pageant stands out as a true "step up" in my faith path. We were serving at Central Baptist Church in Springhill, LA, when Tom asked me to put together an angel choir to sign "Hark the Herald Angels Sing." We needed seven other "angels" who would be willing to learn the sign language, wear a costume, stand in bright lights and smile angelically about the whole thing. 
     Before this particular Christmas, I had used mostly logic to decide these things and then, after sealing the deal, I prayed "God bless us" or "God help us," depending on how I felt about the end result. However, I was studying Henry Blackaby's Experiencing God at the same time we were preparing for this Christmas Pageant and I decided to practice the truths God was highlighting for me in this study. I began praying, "Lord, I'm not going on an angel-hunt. Instead, I ask You to bring seven "angels" to me. Let our paths cross and open my eyes to see them when You place them in my path." I would almost laugh out loud when some ordained angel (I could almost see the halo shining) would come to me and say, "Is there anything I can do to help with the pageant? I can't sing but I'd love to help in any other way." I'm sure I almost scared them off with the tears in my eyes and the smile I could barely keep from spreading past the front of my face. 
     I was teaching school at the time and one day I asked an interpreter who accompanied a hearing-impaired student to go over the signs for "Hark" with me. We just "happened" to be in the teacher's lounge at the same time when Sherry, the young, vibrant P.E. teacher who was a member at Central bounced into the teacher's lounge and saw us. Sherry said, "Cool, I've always wanted to learn sign language!" and jumped in to sign along with us. When we finished, the light came on in my dull head, "Sherry, would you like to be a signing angel for the Christmas pageant at church this year?" This time hers were the eyes suddenly wet with tears as she said, "Really? Me?"  What a blessing to feel I was doing someone a favor to invite them to serve the Lord instead of having to talk them into it with constant reassurances!  
     Not one of them said "yes" out of obligation or to please someone else that year. As I shared the story with them of how each of them came into the chorus, we rejoiced that God knows where we are and is always working in our behalves. We were part of God's will being done on earth as it is in heaven. He brought that little band of angels together and it was, for lack of a better word, "heavenly." 
Lord of Heaven and Earth, give us greater faith for the little things. Each day can be an "eye-opener" if we trust You with our hopes and plans. Break forth with shining Light into our logical habits and thoughts! Help us release these "former ways" so You can show us Your amazing attention to minute details and monumental dreams. Your ways are infinitely better and Your Light leads to more light. Bring us together to serve You with hope, joy and faith in Your Character and Will. 


In the Name of Jesus Who embodied and fulfilled God's will on earth.
    


"For with You is the fountain of life; in Your light we see light." Psalm 36:9


"And she added, 'Who would have said to Abraham that Sarah would nurse children? Yet I have borne him a son in his old age.'" Genesis 21:1-7


"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." Hebrews 11:1

No comments:

Post a Comment