Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Wednesday, September 29 - De-bannistered and dangerous

Our stairwell has been de-bannistered for the last couple of days because we're painting. I never realized how much I touch the bannisters, or how much having them firmly attached to the walls builds my confidence. Now, on the way up I grab at air, and when I stand at the top looking down those 15 opportunities for disaster, I seriously reconsider the necessity of going downstairs - ever.  I've discovered my bannister habits: As I go downstairs I touch the top of the right bannister, and coming back up I grab the bottom of the "other right" bannister. Oh, for the good old days when bannisters stayed put and I never gave them a thought except to clean them occasionally (the right one on the way up and the "other right" one on the way down).

Almighty God and Son of Man - Your Majesty and Power keep me looking up to You as Sovereign Lord of all the wonderful works You've created while Your friendship and intimacy humble me. I praise You that when I seek You, I'm not grabbing at air or sending up prayers like flares, only to drop back down unseen and unanswered. You latch firmly onto my hand and heart to steady me. When I stand vulnerable and fearful of falling or failing, You answer with Your Presence and unfailing love. When I'm sinking beneath waves of frustration and chaos, Your Strength reaches in and pulls me up. Guide us not to lean so heavily on other people - they, like us, are only human and a day will come when we reach for them and they won't be there. Mold our hearts and minds to reach for You first, without a second thought rather than after we've dialed all the other numbers. We want to know You in all Your Glory and as our Abba. Help us live in confident radiance because You're on our right and on our "other right."


"I sought the LORD, and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears. Those who look to Him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame. This poor man called, and the LORD heard him; He saved him out of all his troubles. The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear Him, and He delivers them." Psalm 34:4-7


"We did not follow cleverly invented stories when we told you about the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of His majesty. For He received honor and glory from God the Father when the voice came to Him from the Majestic Glory, saying, "This is My Son, whom I love; with Him I am well pleased." 2 Peter 1:16-17


"Now this is eternal life: that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom You have sent." John 17:3


"I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:14

No comments:

Post a Comment