Monday, September 27, 2010

Monday, September 27, Easier Said Than Done

Based on "Jesus Calling" by Sarah Young


"Chill" is the new "Relax." Doesn't it do your heart good when you're facing something that casts  a long shadow and someone says, "Relax."  And it always works, doesn't it? They say "Relax" and you snap your fingers or slap your forehead and think, "Why, of course! That's it - why didn't I think of it myself? I'll relax." Or, if you're really steamed about something hurtful, something unjust or just plain wrong and someone with no dog in the fight says, "Chill - it's all good." 


I hated shots when I was little. Nurses and my mom would do their best to explain that "relaxing" rather than tensing up would make it hurt less. Yeah, right! THEY weren't getting the shots!  


Then I remember the first time I relaxed and discovered they were right. I was half asleep when the nurse came in after my appendectomy and said something about a little stick. When it was over, I had to ask her whether or not she had given it to me yet.  


What's got you in a wad today? Mine is a huge foyer to be painted and a war-torn house to ready for photos. Am I up for it? Can we get it all done? Will we have the energy to see it through? Will it be worth all the trouble and expense? How will I repay the friends coming to help? 


Relax, Robin. Take refuge, take heart. Put the day, the questions, in His hands.  This isn't new to God. He knows the details and He's been waiting to show you all the power He's got up His sleeves to meet the demands of this day. Chill  - it's all good.


Sweet, loving Father, Your arms are mighty and everlasting and I choose to rest in You and relax about my weaknesses. Your goodness makes it all good for us when we relax and wait in loving trust on You. Your Strength is all we need - our own is like adding a splinter to a bonfire anyway.  Thank You that even as we're doing, we can be waiting and relaxing in our hearts, knowing Your Presence is working in and with us. You'll drive out anything standing in the way of accomplishing Your will. What a mighty God we serve!


In the name of Jesus who slept in a rocking boat during the storm


"The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms. He will drive out your enemy before you, saying 'Destroy him!'"Deuteronomy 33:27


"I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD." Psalm 27:13-14



1 comment: