Saturday, September 11, 2010

September 11, 2010 -Who's right?

Today, on the ninth anniversary of  9/11, we're not an inch closer to world peace. The U.S. is more divided than ever since it seems half the country pretends the crashes into the Twin Towers left no scars and should be archived in the past while the other half mentally and emotionally camp out at Ground Zero still waiting for justice. These are the two extreme reactions to the same world-shocking event and many other people vacillate between them. Who's right?

Approximately 2,000 years ago a Jewish carpenter slipped quietly into this dark world of despair. He healed sickness and forgave sin. He taught people that no matter whether they caught fish for a living or were caught in adulterous living, God loved them and wanted them forever. He forgave the people who nailed His hands and feet to a criminal's cross and then laughed at Him for hanging there. When He came back to life, His scars stayed with Him and served as building blocks in the foundation of faith for the kingdom of God. Many people today pretend Jesus didn't change the world - that He was just another well-meaning but misguided religious fanatic. Others called Him crazy and others went so far as to call Him Satan. A handful called Him Lord. Who's right?

Two earth-shaking events: the first dividing an already conflicted world and the other offering forgiveness to enemies and peace in the hearts of believers.

Lord, help me take an extreme stand at the foot of the cross. Forgive me when I live as though nothing happened 2,000 years ago. Guide me to touch Your scars and remember what You've done for me and forget what others have done to me. Teach me to be a peace keeper and a peacemaker.  Today, I draw on Your forgiveness for my past, Your Power for my present, and Your promises for my future. Help me obey You - even in following Your most difficult commandments.


In the name of Jesus who said "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you." 


"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy." But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.'" Matthew 5:43-45





1 comment:

  1. "Help me obey You - even in following Your most difficult commandments."

    Thank you for this reminder. I really enjoy reading these articles. Thank you for writing them.

    ReplyDelete