Friday, September 24, 2010

Friday, September 24 - Root Beer by The Bay

It's been a hard week and last night I needed a root beer. Yep, and a fish sandwich and french fries.  I took these comfort foods to the bay to watch the sunset because, well, you know, I won't have many more opportunities to watch a sunset over the swaying masts of boats on the water. I watched an hourglass shaped cloud slowly spin into some unidentifiable form.  Colors flared as the sun's fingers pulled the last bits of gold from the sky just before disappearing below the horizon. Another day gone.

I backed up and turned my car around to see a bright full moon, low and large in the navy sky.  This silent witness to the sunset patiently waited to light the night. No fanfare. No drama. Just a peaceful, constant presence for the night ahead.

God wants my full attention but He waits patiently until I get my fill of fanfare and drama. He won't intrude but He's always present and waiting for me to turn fully toward Him. Like Peter, my eyes dart to crashing waves and whipping winds when all the time, Jesus calls me to maintain eye contact.


You, Lord, are my cloud by day and fire by night. You stay the same wonderful God - full of fanfare and glory but also constant and subtle. Your Light of Righteousness guides me in the glare of the day's challenges and through the night when the future is a blur of possibilities. The world offers new headlines and excuses to look everywhere but into Your loving eyes but I ask You to take my face in Your Hands and turn my eyes back to Your own. You're my Strength and Shield, protecting me from distress and stress. You're my root beer by the bay and I'm satisfied and comforted. 




"Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim You, who walk in the light of Your presence, O LORD. They rejoice in Your name all day long; they exult in Your righteousness." Psalm 89:15-16


"I have seen the LORD always before me. Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken." Psalm 16:8


"Grace and peace be yours in abundance through the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord." 2 Peter 1:2

1 comment:

  1. What a way to end a day! I am so glad you enjoyed a wonderful afternoon with a favorite drink and comfort food. Grace and peace be yours.....

    ReplyDelete