Thursday, March 8, 2012

Thursday, March 8, 2012 - Being A True Who

     In Dr. Seuss' classic children's book "How the Grinch Stole Christmas," the miserable, small-hearted Grinch comes down his lonely hill to steal all the outward signs of Christmas from the happy "Whos" in Whoville. To his dismay, on Christmas morning they still gather at the spot where the town tree, decorations, and bells had been to sing their Christmas song with heart.  They close their eyes to sing so either they don't notice or simply don't mind the missing tree. They sing their Christmas song with gusto in spite of the missing bells. The dismayed Grinch has to re-think Christmas.  If these Whos can sing with spirit and nothing else, then what - or Who - are they singing about?


Now reread the first paragraph replacing the word "Christmas" with "worship" and let the "Whos" in Whoville represent believers who worship in spirit and in truth. 

The Grinch is different for each of us, but whoever he is, his obsession with form, style and setting doesn't have to steal true worship from a true Who.  


On the other hand, am I a Grinch of sorts?  Do I mistake setting for worship?  Am I small-hearted and ungenerous about style and expression? Do I fixate on form instead of on the Lord?
Could I, would I worship well
in a hole or prison cell?

Sing His praise on stormy seas?
On dirt floors or cushy seat?

In rain or snow or sleet or hail
Could I, would I worship well?

With the young and with the old,
in good health or with a cold,

With guitar or organ swell,

Could I, would I worship well?

With words on the screen mispelled,
can I, will I, worship well?

With a choir or a praise team,
Is my worship as real as it seems?

On a platform, in a pew
Do I worship in spirit and truth?

Do I, do we worship well?
God sees the heart and He can tell.

"Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.” John 4:23-24


Inspired by all the True Whos who worship with or without the trimmings, who keep the heart of worship burning brightly in spirit and in truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment