Monday, March 26, 2012

Monday, March 26, 2012 - Count to Ten

Our bright-eyed, sharp-as-a-tack West Highland-Maltese mix dog, Little Mac, knows a few tricks.  His favorites are:
     anticipating where the treat I throw for him will go and chasing it down; 
     shutting open doors on command;
     standing on his hind legs and turning in a circle;
     and, when it's time to go for a walk, carrying his leash outside.   
There's one trick he detests and that's counting to ten.  First he sits on command and then, as I hold a treat up above him, I count to ten and he's allowed to have it when I get to ten, IF he sat still on 1-9.  It's a lot to ask of a waggly little dog, but I know he can do it and patience IS a virtue, right?
     I find myself challenged by my Master in this same discipline of waiting:  
     "Lord, just show me what to DO and I'll do it."
     "Father, show me the way, and I'll walk in it. Tell me what to SAY and I'll say it."
     "God, Almighty, please, DO something!"
     "Just give me the treat, Lord!"
     
When His answer is, "Wait," my face falls as surely as Little Mac's ears drop when I start counting. We prefer action, even if we're spinning our wheels, but God's Word promises: 

"The Lord is good to those who wait for Him,
To the soul who seeks Him.
It is good that one should hope and wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord."
Lamentations 3:25-26

"But those who wait on the Lord
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint."
Isaiah 40:31




"You will show me the path of life;
In Your presence is fullness of joy;
At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore."
Psalm 16:11
 
May we keep our eyes on the promise fulfilled, take a deep breath and count . . . on HIm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment