Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 - (2/1/12) Perception Vs. Reality

"That's not how I saw that playing out in my head," Will Smith's character "Hitch" tells the girl he subjected to a disastrous first date. He had both kicked her in the head while getting on a jet ski and kicked her in the heart by inadvertently digging into a past she had tried to forget.  "Hitch," the dating guru with answers for everyone else, discovers relationships don't unfold in controlled environments and the best-laid plans and good intentions often backfire into chaos.   
     Maybe reality is a little too real and "in your face" today. Maybe the air-brushed, botoxed, glam of worldly success leaves you wondering if living as a believer who exerts a whole lot of energy into doing what Jesus would do with Jesus' heart for people is overrated and under-rewarding. Would you like to borrow Asaph the Psalmist's  words? 



"Was it for nothing that I kept my heart pure and kept  myself from doing wrong?  
All I get is trouble all day long; every morning brings me pain." 
(Psalm 73:13-14)
But, he went to the Lord with these complaints . . .
"Then one day I went into Your sanctuary, O God, . . . " 
(73:17)
and thought about the spiritual emptiness and destiny of all the people living self-absorbed lives on earth and his eyes were opened as a little pity for them took root. 
"Their present life is only a dream that is gone when they awake." 
(73:20)
As he thought about their destructive destiny, he was shocked at how easily he had been trapped and shaped by the same materialistic, temporary values: 
"Then I realized how bitter I had become, how pained I had been by all I had seen.  
I was so foolish and ignorant -- I must have seemed like a senseless animal to You. . . 
(73:21-22)

This moment of truth led him to remember his own destiny as a man who served, honored and lived for God: 
"Yet I still belong to You; You are holding my right hand.
You will keep on guiding me with Your counsel, 
leading me to a glorious destiny." 
(73:23-24)
Following Jesus into a world of needy people to show them the Way will quickly remove any romanticized perceptions we have of ministry and missions.  Our efforts may be rejected, our intentions misinterpreted, our testimonies ridicule. We'll occasionally wake up with a foot in our faces and less glam than other people seem to enjoy, but this life is "but a breath" and nothing compared to the glorious destiny at the end of the very real roads we travel.  
Lord, forgive us for wanting to serve You at our convenience and always with positive results.  You were rejected and You've been misinterpreted for more than two thousand years.  People ridiculed You then and now, but You've never stopped loving and inviting people to Truth. Thank You for Your faithfulness, not only to us, but to Your Purpose and Plan.  Guide us to think in bigger, long-range terms than the little foot in our faces.  Bless us with an "Aha" moment like You did for Asaph and help us come to You with our complaints rather than sinking into bitterness and foolishness.   
In the Name of Jesus Who  lived in poverty to pour out heaven's riches on anyone who believes in Him

No comments:

Post a Comment