Thursday, February 16, 2012

Thursday, February 16. 2012 - Where Fervent Prayers Are Born


"Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, 
that you may be healed. 
The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much." 
James 5:16 (NKJV)



Yesterday morning all I could see was a huge need. This void in the picture of my responsibilities consumed me and I kept mumbling my worries to God, describing the horrors that would befall many people if this need wasn't met immediately.  I had run out of ideas and options.  I had run everyone else out of ideas and options. My back was against the wall with no answer in sight. I finally I slid down that wall and onto my knees to pray for divine intervention.  
     It's not that I hadn't prayed about the situation before, but I hadn't prayed fervently with faith that God would send the help needed in time. Instead, I had rearranged the situation in my head 100 times to find a solution but time had run out and my mustard seed of faith was shrinking. Desperation leads to fervent prayer, including confession, praise, thanksgiving and, of course, requests.  I gave the whole thing to God and thanked Him for answering the need in advance for His glory.  Then I stood up, relieved to put the situation into Bigger Hands

     While I was praying, a text evidently arrived saying the job was covered; someone felt led to fill the void. When the shock wore off, I spent the rest of the day mumbling thanks, singing praise, and fervently loving my God. 

Amazing, Awesome God - why do I doubt and let the voids darken my day? Why do I see only the big empty spaces when You've poured over me grace after grace? Why do I insist on trying to do things in my own power instead investing that energy into fervent prayer?  Lord, forgive me for still - after all these years - forgetting to "pray about everything."  Thank You for shining through. Thank You for hearing me and answering me and yes, even for allowing me to get to that terrible but wonderfully desperate stage where fervent prayers are born.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, 
with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." Philippians 4:6

No comments:

Post a Comment