Saturday, February 4, 2012

Saturday, February 4, 2012 - The Splintery Fence

     We were part of a sold out crowd to the "Songs&Stories Tour" where we heard three amazing Christian artists at FBC Benton last night: Steven Curtis Chapman (49), Andrew Peterson (37) and Josh Wilson (22).  It was beautiful to see these three godly men cross  age and style barriers to work as a team dedicated to glorifying God.  Kudos to all three for playing and singing in the background for each other's music and diffusing the usual "build-up" to the big name artist.  All three artists shared how God is leading them, each on their own paths, to shine God's light in a dark world. Each songwriter is finding ways to respond to God's love with more than words. They fight the same battle we do to walk the talk and to live the songs we sing. Are we all talk or do we answer God's call with compassionate action?  Oddly enough, our silence is a strong indication we're slipping in our faith and faithfulness. 

     "Elijah went before the people and said, 
'How long will you waver between two opinions? 
If the LORD is God, follow Him; but if Baal is God, follow him."  
But the people said nothing."  
1 Kings 2:18 
     This has to be a heartbreaker of a verse for God. The people's silence confirmed their lack of faith and commitment to Him. Josh Wilson's song "I Refuse" from the concert last night came to mind as I read about the Israelites, God's own people, saying and doing nothing in response to His call. 

"I Refuse"
Sometimes I
I just want to close my eyes
And act like everyone's alright
When I know they're not

This world needs God
But it's easier to stand and watch
I could say a prayer and just move on
Like nothing's wrong

But I refuse
'Cause I don't want to live like I don't care
I don't want to say another empty prayer
Oh, I refuse

To sit around and wait for someone else
To do what God has called me to do myself
Oh, I could choose
Not to move but I refuse

I can hear the least of these
Crying out so desperately
And I know we are the hands and feet
Of You, oh God

So, if You say move
It's time for me to follow through
And do what I was made to do
Show them who You are
[From: http://www.elyrics.net/read/j/josh-wilson-lyrics/i-refuse-lyrics.html ]


If there's something God's calling us to do and we refuse to do it, our silence breaks His heart. 
Lord, God, You are our God. Help us choose You, get off the splintery fence of non-commitment, and get to work doing what You're telling us to do. Leave us "speechless" with
Your Love we can't ignore but strengthen us to refuse to be silent as we shine for You.  Remove the mufflers from our hearts and consciences so we hear Your Voice and understand clearly what You reveal to us about Your character and will.  Make us bold servants where You call us to serve, no matter how many prophets of Baal surround us. In the end, their god was silent 
(1 Kings 2:20-39), but w
e call to You, the God Who hears and answers. May we hear and answer You by reaching outside ourselves to love people simply because You love people.
In the Name of Jesus, Who hung on a splintery cross to split Time by choosing Your side over all the others









No comments:

Post a Comment