Friday, February 24, 2012

Friday, February 24, 2012 - I Am My Own Pain in The Neck

Direct me in the path of Your commands, 
   for there I find delight. 
Turn my heart toward Your statutes 
   and not toward selfish gain. 
Turn my eyes away from worthless things; 
   preserve my life according to Your word.
Psalm 119:35-37 
    I woke up with a crick in my neck.  After changing the sheets on our bed last night I fell onto the wrong pillow.  Exhausted, I could've slept on nails, but now I'm hurting because I didn't take a measly few seconds to get the right pillow.  
     We cause ourselves plenty of "cricks" by failing to take the time to do things the right way.  Who hasn't failed to make a simple phone call that would've saved someone else worry or confusion?  When we accept obligations on the spur-of-the-moment instead of taking time to pray for direction, we stress about fitting more into our schedules and  lose time fulfilling what God's already called us to do. If we fail to apologize quickly or restore a relationship we suffer the regrets of losing the joy of that relationship. When we do a half-hearted job on a project we usually have to start over again or lose the respect of our co-workers. We pay in countless painful ways when we fail to take care of our bodies, but the most painful and longlasting "cricks' are those we cause by failing to live with an obedient spirit toward God. To avoid tons of self-inflicted pain we take time to ask and follow God's guidance before we face both expected and unexpected moments in the day.    

Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me.

Psalm 119:133

    While it's early and before the day blurs into speeding moments, we ask You Lord, God, to shape our minds to obedience and wisdom.  Help us avoid the pitfalls of spiritual laziness.  Give us the wisdom to  take the extra seconds, minutes, or hours and to go the extra mile to fulfill Your plans for us.  Help us seek and follow You with all our hearts. Keep us from doing anything half-hearted for You.  Direct us and keep us far from the traps and pains of sin.  Help us stay on track doing all You've planned for us in a timely, godly manner.
In the Name of Jesus, Who gave us the Holy Spirit as our Teacher and Guide
     “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, 
“plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 
Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 
You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” 
Jeremiah 29:11-13 

No comments:

Post a Comment