Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Today's the Day

"I know what it is to be in need and I know what it is to have plenty.
I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation,
whether well fed or hungry,
whether living in plenty or want."
Philippians 4:12

     A package of Keebler Fudge Stripe cookies doesn't stand a chance in my pantry.  
Neither does a bag of peanut M&Ms or a certain friend's homemade banana bread.  Why put off until tomorrow what I can enjoy (in large quantities) today?  Self-control in the kitchen is a problem for me and the older I get, the more it shows.  
     However, I exhibit amazing self-control when it comes to the joy God puts in my heart's pantry for me to enjoy at will.  Sometimes I show such restraint the package gathers dust.  
     Why in the world would anyone leave joy untouched? I have a feeling we forget we have it because we also use our hearts and minds as storage facilities for worries and burdens.  Or maybe we've settled for circumstantial happiness which lacks quality control, proving tasty one day and unsatisfying the next. Or maybe we're under the impression that we're allotted only so much joy in the Lord, so we save it for a rainy day when we'll really need it.  
     Paul popped open a pack of joy in prison.
"Rejoice in the LORD always! I will say it again: Rejoice!" 
Philippians 4:4
     King David led God's people to sing His joyful praises, but only after years of solo work among the sheep in the pasture. 
"They will celebrate Your abundant goodness and joyfully sing of Your righteousness."
Psalm 145:7
Why put off until tomorrow what we can enjoy (in large quantities) today?



Father, let today be the day we rediscover the joy we have in You, our loving God, no matter where we are or what's on the agenda.  Help us dig around in our hearts until we find it. There's no expiration date because You, Lord, never change, ("But You remain the same, and Your years will never end."  Psalm 102:27) but we do need help opening this gift You've given us. 



No comments:

Post a Comment