Monday, September 3, 2012

First Thing First

"Step out of the traffic!  Take a long, loving look at Me, your High God, 
above politics, above everything."  
Psalm 46:10 (The Message)

Getting our priorities out of order
is more dangerous than we think.
          What issues keep your nervous energy and worrisome thoughts in high gear?  Is it something you can't control, or something you think you can control?  Whatever it is, God calls us to lay it aside, still our bodies, and stay our minds on Him until we're relaxed, calm and have His perspective. 
    Our worlds are filled with ways to give us information immediately.  The problem with this technology is that it has convinced us that we must respond immediately.  Cell phone buzzes and email notification dings sound urgent, but God calls us away for a while to enjoy the blessing of the one essential thing: time with Him, listening and learning.  Today, I'm laboring to relax in His Presence until I've received what is most urgent, most important, most lasting.

"As they continued their travel, Jesus entered a village.  A woman by the name of Martha welcomed Him and made Him feel quite at home.  She had a sister, Mary, who sat before the Master, hanging on every word He said.  But Martha was pulled away by all she had to do in the kitchen.  Later, she stepped in, interrupting them.  "Master , don't you care that my sister has abandoned the kitchen to me?  Tell her to lend me a hand."
   The Master said, "Martha, dear Martha, you're fussing far too much and getting yourself worked up over nothing.  One thing only is essential, and Mary has chosen it -- it's the main course, and won't be taken from her." Luke 10:39-42 (The Message)

Lord, before I opened my eyes this morning, the list had unfurled in my mind and distracted me from saying "Good morning, Lord."  I need you.  I need You and I love You for wanting me to need You - for DESIGNING me to need You and then for embracing me when I acknowledge my need.   Remind me until I put everything else aside that the greatest thing I can do for You, the greatest gift I can bring to You, is me - fully engaged.  I set my heart and mind like baskets before You to be filled.  Stop me from allowing good intentions to replace the one essential thing.
In the Name of Jesus Who told us Mary was getting it right

No comments:

Post a Comment