Monday, September 10, 2012

I Said to Myself . . .

"I will refresh the weary and satisfy the faint."
Jeremiah 31:25
One of my daddy's running jokes when I was little was, "I said to myself, 'Self, . . . "  It stuck. Sometimes we need to have a good talk with ourselves. However, most of our talking to "ourselves" is really out-loud talking directed to people who aren't there so it  does no good.  We practice giving others a piece of our minds, using persuasion to get what we want, and strategizing how to win or how to avoid confrontations.  Most of our private "out-loud" conversations assume we're not the ones who need to change attitudes and, let's face it, God wouldn't approve of what we want to tell those people anyway.  So, much of our talk is just talk.  It does no good, goes nowhere, and never affects any kind of positive change. Yet, we keep talking.

David, the man God called "a man after My own heart,"  knew how to talk effectively.  He spoke directly to God and then he allowed his talk with God to guide his talks with himself.


By day the LORD directs His love, 
at night His song is with me - a prayer to the God of my life.

I say to God my Rock, 
"Why have You forgotten me? 
Why must I go about mourning and oppressed by the enemy?
My bones suffer mortal agony as my foes taunt me, 
saying to me all day long, 
'Where is your God?'

Why are you downcast, O my soul?
Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God, 
For I will yet praise Him,
my Savior and my God."
Psalm 42:8-11

How in the world did David get from telling God "My bones suffer mortal agony" to telling himself "Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise Him, my Savior and my God?"  If you've experienced "Peace that passes all understanding" despite shake-your-world circumstances, you know it can happen, although how to explain the transformation to other people is a mystery. David poured out his complaints to God and as he poured them out, God poured back into his mind, times when he felt God's Presence, times of hope and peace. (Ps. 42:4-6)  That's when David was able to say to himself, "Self . . . Why are you so down and out?  Hope in God. I'll be praising Him again soon for saving me and for proving He is God."

Reminder to self:  Long winters make us want the warmth and color of spring. Scorching summers leave us longing for the refreshing and cool of autumn. Like the seasons which pass, pain, persecution and suffering leave us panting for God "as the deer pants for streams of water" and we "will yet praise Him." (Psalm 42:1-2)


Father, You've promised throughout Scripture to be with us and guide us. Even when circumstances seem to say otherwise, You're with us, using those circumstances to make us long for You. Thank You for wanting us to pour out our complaints to You. Help us not waste time with useless talk, but remind us to talk to You first.  Make us wise so we listen with our hearts and heads, allowing You to pour Your refreshing Spirit and Hope into us.  Teach us to give others the peace of our minds instead of a piece of our minds.

In the Name of Jesus Who was crucified in weakness, yet lives by God's Power.


No comments:

Post a Comment