Friday, September 28, 2012

Over and Under

     A few days ago I overheard the following final sentence in a conversation between two people just before they walked away from each other. 
"She just overreacted - which is better than under-reacting, I guess." 
If this statement is true, I'm doing a lot better than I thought. How about you? 
     I would love to know the subject of that conversation because I rarely agree with the conclusion. Most of our over-reactions turn molehills into mountains and  misdemeanors into felonies.  And, honestly, I've discovered my overreactions are sure-fire signs of fear or wounded pride ruling my life.
 "A person without self-control is like a house with its doors and windows knocked out." Proverbs 25:28



    Galatians 5:22-23 lists self-control among the fruit of the Holy Spirit that fills our lives. 
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law."
Galatians 5:22-23


While we shouldn't be guilty of under-reacting when someone's about to get hit by a car or when a relationship is in crisis, we still need to learn to underreact verbally while at the same time responding actively to the needs and situations God places in our paths.  

"So think clearly and exercise self-control. Look forward to the gracious salvation that will come to you when Jesus Christ is revealed to the world." 1 Peter 1:13









  

No comments:

Post a Comment