Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - What A Best Friend Should Be

     Yesterday I substituted for a group of first graders I felt were socially mature for their ages. They worked beautifully together in the classroom and enjoyed discussing ideas and working with one another.  Everyone had the same rules, tools, assignments, and privileges so there was very little tattling or disharmony until we went to the playground and joined the rest of the first grade classes.  Suddenly two rubber kickballs resulted in a power struggle among a number of boys while groups of girls huddled to re-negotiate best friends for the day. 
     I remember the safety of having friends, and sometimes a best friend, on the playground.  I also remember the loneliness of a "bad day" when a best friend was sick or decided to play some stupid new game with another girl in our class, leaving me watching from a distance or lost and wandering around figuring out what to do.  
     Jesus never has to choose between friends so He alone could make the promise, 
"I am with you always, even to the end of the age." (Matt. 28:20)  
He doesn't play favorites but still treats each of us as His best friend.  Where we move away, fail to stay in touch, forget special dates, don't make time to get together, let hurts cause distance between us, or drop the ball when we're most needed, Jesus sticks because we're grafted into Him.  
"Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches." John 15:5
He's the Friend Who died for us when our own sin condemned us. He's the Friend Whose example we should follow but never expect from anyone else. He's the Friend Who cannot be replaced by a thousand other friends.   
Lord Jesus, thank You for the privilege of friendship You give us.  Forgive us for allowing anything and everything to put distance between us. You put into our friendship so much more than I can or do. If you were like other friends, You might have given up on me long ago. Thank You for looking out for my needs and interests. Thank Your for the compassion You show me. Thank You for not throwing up Your Hands when I'm in a dark mood or just plain irritable.  What would we do without Your friendship? Thank You that we don't have to find out,
In Your own comforting Name I pray




   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment