Monday, November 28, 2011

Monday, November 28, 2011 - Perfect Gifts in Store

"I will praise the LORD at all times. 
I will constantly speak His praises.  
I will boast only in the LORD; 
let all who are discouraged take heart.
Come, let us tell of the LORD's greatness; 
let us exalt His Name together.
I prayed to the LORD, and He answered me, 
freeing me from all my fears." 
Psalm 34:1-4

     When I realized we would go shopping while we were in Branson with a group from our church, I called my mom to see what she wants for Christmas.  Mom would rather have something she wants than be surprised with something she doesn't, so it seemed wise to check first.  She knew exactly what she needed: a new robe, lightweight but long-sleeved that zips or buttons up the front.  Although this request sounded simple, I stepped off our bus asking God to put Mama's exact robe in place for me to find.
     The first store in line was Belk, one of Mom's favorite shopping spots, so I headed to the sleepwear department in full faith that God was working on my request.  I found two that fit her description - twice as many as I had asked for but with differences in fabric, length and color.  So, I called Mom to ask, mid-calf and mint green or ankle-length and light blue?
     "Aww, (She honestly said "Aww") when your daddy and I were dating, his mother called my mother to see what he could give me for Christmas and he gave me a mint green sweater and skirt set. I've been drawn to mint green ever since then."
     "Mint green it is, then," I said, replacing the other robe. It was then that I noticed the label in the collar: Miss Elaine, my mom's name.  No doubt, this was her robe.  I bounced  to the cashier in joy until I saw the price tag and heard that gosh-awful sound you hear on television shows when something goes terribly wrong: the sound of a record player being abused.  I turned to look for price cut signs on the "Miss Elaine" nightwear racks, but saw only space - empty, empty space.  
     "Fits her description, right size, sentimental color, is already personalized - what other evidence do you need that this is the exact robe God placed here for you to find??  Get it!! He'll take care of the budget some other way."  
     When the cashier said (without blinking), "That's twenty dollars and ninety-two cents," the small cloud that had blocked some of my sunshine evaporated and I think I heard God laugh.  
     "How much?" I asked, afraid she would change her mind. She repeated the price that was 75% less than the tag demanded.  When I told her I hadn't seen any sale signs she just shrugged and said, "That's the price it rings up for."  Well, hallelujah and thank You God!
     Sometimes I wonder about my own sanity: Why don't I pray constantly about everything when God keeps revealing how much He cares and works in exact ways?  Today, I share this story of God's perfect blessing to ask, "Why do we let our pride lead us to settle for what we can do when God has perfect gifts in store for those who ask?"  God heard my request and answered it within ten minutes just as clearly as if He had spoken or put up a neon arrow pointing to that mint-green robe.  If He's willing to take care of a Christmas gift for me and my mom, what other, greater things might He do through us if we ask?  Maybe we don't ask because we're afraid we might find out, and that discovery could change our lives.
Lord God, praises to You for loving me, hearing me, and answering me so exactly, so perfectly.  Thank You for gifts we don't deserve, for answers beyond our requests.  Thank You for speaking our language to help us understand Yours.  Lead us to ponder Your Love and Your Faithfulness and then to respond just as You want us to respond.  Shape our prayers to fit Your Will.  Mold our hearts to receive and pass on Your Love.  There is no one like You.  May we never settle for less than You want to do through us.
In the Name of Jesus, the Perfect Gift and the Giver of perfect gifts

No comments:

Post a Comment