Thursday, November 10, 2011

Thursday, November 10, 2011 - Failure to Launch

"If someone claims, "I know Him well!" but doesn't keep His commandments, 
he's obviously a liar. His life doesn't match his words. 
But the one who keeps God's word is the person in whom we see God's mature love." 
2 John 6

     As hateful as I know the sin of pride is, it has kept me from joining cults or following anyone off a cliff.  When someone asks me to do something outside my comfort zone, I buck and immediately wonder "Who do you think you are?"  "Why would I do that when it sounds potentially destructive to my personal being?"  
     Unfortunately, I've not always asked myself these questions - as if I know myself and can trust myself to direct my life.  Pride, while keeping me from blind loyalty to the Jim Jones's of the world, has also been the stumbling block that keeps me from obeying the One Person I know I can completely trust, the One Person Whose plan never lets me down. According to 2 John, my failure to launch when God says "blast off" means I don't know Him as well as I claim to know Him and I don't trust Him as much as I say I do.  When God nudges, directs, or commands, I find myself overly interested in running through the checklist again. That's when pride becomes hazardous and self-destructive, fizzling my faith and keeping me unlit and attached to the ground rather than lighting the dark sky for others. 

Lord, ignite our hearts to completely trust You. You deserve blind loyalty but You don't demand it because You prove Your Love to us daily. You plan what's best for us and those we love, help us accept it. You tell us what will bring the greatest joy and fulfillment to our lives, but You don't force us to accept it or follow it. Sometimes I wish You would, but in Your great Love, You lead. Give us wisdom and strength to push the button and launch out into what could be the thrill of a lifetime. Speak to our hearts, Lord Jesus!
In the Name of Jesus - Who ascended into heaven after a wild ride on earth!


No comments:

Post a Comment