Thursday, May 12, 2011

Thursday, May 12, 2011 - Rest: A Beautiful Four-Letter Word

Rest means different things to people in different phases of life. When God rested from creating the earth it didn't mean He was worn out or used up, but that He stopped working. In love, He established a day for us to stop working to recharge physically, spiritually and emotionally. As new parents, Julie and Nick are learning that rest means a couple of hours of sleep in a row, or simply holding a happy, well-fed Addy. Rest can also mean successfully passing certain new hurdles such as getting through labor and delivery, feeding and dressing Addy for the first time, getting Addy home, figuring out a schedule, knowing their baby's needs, having everything they need at hand, and so forth. 
     Rest also means taking care of ourselves so we can care for others well. Julie said yesterday, "I never understood why new mothers say 'I don't have time to eat or sleep,' but now I know." The doctors, midwife, lactation consultants, family members and friends have all underlined the importance of Julie and Nick getting their nourishment and rest so they're in good shape to care for Addy because it's simply impossible to give what we don't have.
     God's Word calls us to "love one another" (1 John 3:11) and Jesus said, "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of Your Father in heaven" (Matt. 5:44). Do I have that kind of love in me? Every believer does, but am I always alert enough to feed myself on His Presence before I try to feed or love others?  No. Sometimes the "babies" of the world cry so loudly or urgently that I rush in to feed them before accepting what God offers me. When I get my "schedule" out of kilter in this way, I'm quickly drained of the skimpy, watered-down human love I can produce alone, and nobody is satisfied. I feel like a failure. However, loving others in God's strength and power leads us to rest from this self-condemnation.
"Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.
This then is how we know that we belong to the truth, and
how we set our hearts at rest in His presence
whenever our hearts condemn us."
1 John 3:18-19
"Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart,
and you will find rest for your souls."
Matthew 11:28-29
"The LORD replied, 'My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.'" 
Exodus 33:14
Father, You promise us rest in Your Presence and Promises. We're hungry for Your kind of rest. Show us how to love ourselves by letting You love us in Your ways. Open our minds, hearts and mouths like hungry birds who don't question what's placed in us. May we let Your Love flow freely through us, withholding nothing from anyone in need but remembering to let You fill us first.
In the Name of Jesus Who promised us rest for our souls!
Inspired by Jesus Calling
Photos by Eli Akin, EADesign


No comments:

Post a Comment