Saturday, May 21, 2011

Saturday, May 21, 2011 - Hide and Watch

     Each time we move to a new town we learn new lingo, vocabulary, and locally-flavored phrasing. We learned all kinds of Cajun words and New Orleans phrases while in seminary such as "making groceries" and that "I left it over by my house" doesn't mean the forgotten item is lying in the yard. During our seven years in Red Bay, Alabama, I learned: "mushmelon" is a cantaloup, "dun" means presenting a bill to someone, that "walleyed hissy fit" is just what it sounds like and that "I don't care to" means "I don't mind." My favorite Red Bay saying is "You just hide and watch," which people attached to their predictions about what other people were up to.
    "You just hide and watch" makes good spiritual advice when properly applied. Many people will  hide and watch to see whether or not the rapture occurs today since someone predicted today as the day. Maybe it will and maybe it won't but you just hide and watch because it will happen one day.
      "You just hide and watch" applies when "we have a situation" in our lives.  God's Word doesn't tell us to handle the situation by pitching a walleyed hissy fit, beating the problem to mush by fixating on it, or by drawing up battle plans. God's Word teaches us He is more than capable to handle any situation and solve any problem.
"Your Arm is endued with power; Your Hand is strong, Your right Hand exalted."
Psalm 89:13
His Word also teaches us to stop "helping" God solve our problems as we hide in Him and let Him call the shots.
"In the shelter of Your Presence You hide them from the intrigues of men;
in your dwelling you keep them safe from accusing tongues."
Psalm 31:20
"But as for me, I watch in hope for the LORD, 
I wait for God my Savior; 
my God will hear me." 
Micah 7:7
"What, then shall we say in response to this? 

If God is for us, who can be against us?
He who did not spare His own Son, but gave Him up for us all
 -- how will He not also, along with Him, graciously give us all things?"
Romans 8:31-32
Turning our eyes from "the situation" to fixate on the Savior may be the toughest assignment we receive but He will deliver, He will cover, He will be gracious. You just hide and watch
Father, put blinders on me so that all I see is You and how You're working today. Slap my hands when I reach in to help. Help me let You do what You want to do without my intervention. I love you for taking the whole situation from me. 
In the Name of Jesus Who promised us You're watching each of us even though we can't see You with us.
Inspired by Jesus Calling
photo from photobucket.com


No comments:

Post a Comment