Monday, May 9, 2011

Monday, May 9, 2011 - Catch and Release

     Addy is almost two days old and as far as I know, she has no regrets. Don't you wish you could say the same? Maybe that's why becoming a Christian is also referred to as "being born again," - starting out fresh and without sin or regret.
     Unfortunately, buried deep inside most of us lie embarrassing, shame-filled regrets we'd give anything to erase from our past: rash decisions, wasted opportunities, spite-filled words, ugly immaturity unveiled, an unhealed or out-of-control relationship, unwarranted stinginess, ignorance for which others paid the price, and on and on the list goes. When I hear people say they have no regrets I wonder:
1) Do they really mean they would make the same wrong and hurtful choices again? or,
2) Are they saying they're happy with where and who they are in life and consider all their choices, good and bad, to be what helped them "arrive?" or,
3) Are they revealing a pride that won't allow them to admit they made any specific mistakes? It's always easier to ask God to forgive us for our sins than to go through the itemized list.
     Praise God He knows our nature to sin in monumental ways and He's big enough not only to forgive the sins but to use them to build character and compassion for others.  He calls us to catch our regrets and release them into His capable Hands. Only when we bring the "big ones,"  our deepest regrets and failures, to His mercy seat will we see the Master work miracles from mess. I wouldn't want to make the same mistakes again, but I do praise God for transforming my chaos into something He can use for His purposes.     
"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, 
who have been called according to His purpose." 
Romans 8:28
"But as for me, I watch in hope for the LORD, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me." Micah 7:7
     Thank You, God, that we don't have to live with regret because You recycle it into something useful. Forgive us when we litter our lives with the ugliness of past sins and  let regret hold us back from You. You know better than anyone our potential for evil, yet You love us most. Strengthen us to release pride and lay each failure at Your Feet to deal with before they become blockades to our spiritual growth or to our trust in Your forgiveness.
In the Name of Jesus, the Son of God Whose blood cleanses us white as snow and through Whom we live in new life.
Inspired by Jesus Calling
photo from our family album


1 comment:

  1. I have also thought about "I have no regrets" being said by people.... thanks for sharing this devotional thought!

    ReplyDelete