Monday, October 1, 2012

"Be very careful, then, how you live -- not as unwise but as wise, 
making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.  
Therefore do not be foolish but understand what the Lord's will is. "  
Ephesians 5:15-17


     October is bringing friends and family to our home almost every weekend.  Although we've lived in our house for 13 months I'm just now venturing into the guest area to see what's what.  We have the basics, but our basics could be more comfortable and convenient with some new sheets, pillows, more hooks in the bathroom, a new shower curtain liner, and a few other odd items.  So guess who went shopping this weekend and came home to freshen up?  I've enjoyed the process - the shopping, the fixing, the getting ready. To top it off, Nick climbed into the attic to bring down our box of fall decorations for the front porch. That box looks really good out there (we'll get to it).
     But, what if the guests I'm counting on don't come?  Have I wasted my energy and resources? Was it all for nothing? No.  Although I would be disappointed, I've needed and wanted to do these things; I just needed some motivation. Now we're ready for whenever people are able to get here: even if they show up unexpectedly.
     The rumors we hear that the world will soon end or that Jesus will arrive on a certain date may make us callous or cynical so we've allowed what God cares about to slip into mediocre mode.  Do we need to refresh our love for God? our desire to know Him and for Him to use us for His glory? our love for people and our fervency that they know God?  
     We have the basic framework of salvation and a relationship with God, but maybe we could use a good spring cleaning and fixing up this fall in certain areas of our lives. I don't want Jesus having to clean up when He arrives; I want Him to feel at home, and even better, I want Him to feel like my King. 

Lord, Jesus, thank You for loving us in spite of the mediocrity we accept as acceptable. Help us live wisely - "making the most of every opportunity," so we'll be prepared.  Show us Your will and may we excel in following it.  Guard our hearts from slipping into neutral when it comes to loving You and living for You.
In the Name of Jesus Who promised to return and Who always keeps His promises.
            
     





No comments:

Post a Comment