Friday, October 12, 2012

Be Specific

"And give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ."
Ephesians 5:20

      "Thank You, God, for everything."  Done. I obeyed one command in the Bible and it's just now 5:00 a.m. 
Thank you for the light in her eyes, her soft skin,
her button nose, enough hair to put in pig tails,
sloppy kisses, joyful jabbering,  a busy little body,
a healthy appetite, and that happily contagious smile.
      As I read "One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp, I'm convicted that courtesy "thank Yous" leave both me and God unfulfilled.  Have you ever given a gift to someone you felt didn't "get it?"  As the recipient's mind grabs at explanations, the words "thank you" float through the fog with little sincerity to carry them.  Maybe the gift was deeply personal, wrapped in layers of meaning about a mutual experience, or maybe it was intended to make its recipient laugh, but failed.  Awkward.  Embarrassing.  Unfulfilling. 
    We short change God while saving time as we categorize gifts from God without embellishing: Thank You for my family, my job, my church, my friends . . . but that's as dry and unconvincing as the "everything" prayer.  "Category" prayers leave God, and me, yawning since they lead to another form of repetition. But, what if I tell God why I'm thankful today, knowing tomorrow will bring a new reason to be thankful for the same person, thing or event. 
"Thank You, God, for Tom who thoughtfully cooked breakfast and brought my portion to me on our wedding china." 
"Thank You, God, for Nick who brought his project to where I was so we could be together." 
"Thank You for my beautiful, gifted Julie who nurtured our friendship with her call."
"Thank You for my talented, handsome "other NIck" who reached across hundreds of miles to make us part of their lives today with a video." 
"Thank You God for the five spontaneous cyber kisses Addy gave me when we Facetimed (and thank You for the technology that allows me to receive those sweet kisses.)"  
"Thank You for the freedom to be creative today at work."
Telling God why we're thankful deepens our gratitude, develops our sincerity, and says, "I get it and I love the thought You put into it."  

     
     


No comments:

Post a Comment