Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 - I Wanna Hold Your Hand


One of my least favorite middle school teachers had a gleam in his eye as he passed out our first exams for his class. When a student nervously asked a question, the teacher asked sarcastically, "Do you want me to come hold your hand?"  He not only shut the poor boy's mouth for the test, he shamed him from ever saying or asking anything in that classroom again.

The Bible pours out story after story stuffed with promises that God's goal is not to humiliate or shame us. Our weakness doesn't bring out His worst, but His best. When we're nervous or afraid, He latches on and promises help, minus the rolling eyes, sarcasm and impatient sighs. On the contrary, He rejoices in our need for Him.

"For I am the Lord your God Who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, 
'Do not fear; I will help you.' Isaiah 41:13

“I have told you these things,
so that in Me you may have peace. 
In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”  
John 16:33
Jesus' warning, "In this world you will have trouble," also serves as  a gentle reminder of "that world," where trouble will stop troubling us. Meanwhile, back in "this world," Jesus insulates us in His peace and power. The One Who has overcome death, and sin's power holds our hands through our skirmishes and battles even when He's already won the war for us.  


"I know both how to have a little, and I know how to have a lot.  In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being content—whether well fed or hungry, whether in abundance or in need. I am able to do all things through Him who strengthens me."  Philippians 4:12-13
And there's where God leads us when we hold His Hand and let Him wrap His Peace around us: to contentment, confidence and courage.  

Father, we want to hold Your Mighty, Capable Hand and walk where You lead us.  We're tired of fear, worry, and burdens stealing our trust and life. Help us buck Satan's efforts to humiliate and shame us when we face trouble. Strengthen us to shake his discouragement loose and grasp more tightly to Your Hand.
In the Name of Jesus, the One Who overcame the world! 

No comments:

Post a Comment