Saturday, May 12, 2012

Saturday, May 12, 2012 - You Can't Give What You Don't Have

     My maternal instinct has to be reasoned with at strange times. For instance, the first time I heard a flight attendant instruct me to put on my own oxygen mask before helping my little one put on hers I wanted to stand up and say, "You'll have to come up with another plan because that ain't happening in seats 16 A and B. My children come first."  
     Logically, I realize that calmly putting on my own mask first is in the best interest of my children since I would be more useful and helpful to them alive and thinking clearly, but hearing the plan went against my motherly sensitivities.
     That's the problem and the beauty of motherhood and sometimes of believers: we react to the needs of others first, but don't take care of ourselves properly - spiritually, physically, mentally, or socially - then we collapse and take them down with us, all in the name of love and it isn't God's plan.  



"So He answered and said, ‘You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind,’ and ‘your neighbor as yourself.’” 
Matthew 11:28-29



God's plan is "God first, then neighbors," including those in our own homes and churches, down the hall in the shape of small, needy children or increasingly independent teenagers.  Putting God first gives us what we need to get the rest of our relationships in the right order. Look what He gives us when we put Him first:



“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."
Luke 10:27


Those are refillable gifts we take with us to do what we're called to do as believers. 



"The Lord replied, 'My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.” Exodus 33:14


Tomorrow is Mother's Day, but let's keep it in perspective. No matter how outrageously or perfectly families express their love and appreciation, it's not enough to last long.  And if they do nothing or what seems to be too little, we still have what God's already given us.  For us to have the right kind of encouragement and nourishment in our pantries for ourselves and for our families, we "come to Jesus" first instead of relying on other people to provide the main course.  


Father, help Your children come to You for all we need.  Free Your Power to work in us, to rest us, to nourish us.  May we not try to give on empty tanks, but stop to feed on Your Word and Presence.  In the Name of Jesus, Giver of rest, Gentle, Humble Teacher

No comments:

Post a Comment