Monday, September 5, 2011

Monday, September 5, 2011 ( Happy Labor Day) - Greater Expectations

     My imagination and a book by a favorite author fit together like a hand in a glove. I read the words of David Copperfield as a 12 year old but completely missed Dicken's extraordinary humor and caricatures, catching only the depressing darkness of poor David's childhood. However, I re-read the novel as an adult and laughed and cried in all the right places. 
   During a three week battle with shingles in the left side of my head I found some relief burrowing into Great Expectations, and this time I was ready for any mood Dickens evoked. The story came alive for me; the characters had me talking to them. I hated Mrs.Joe, was mesmerized by Miss Havisham, and loved to visit the Pocket family with Pip. I sank myself so thoroughly into Pip's life and relationships that I had to remind myself they weren't real so I wouldn't embarrass myself like the lady at Wednesday night prayer meeting who asked prayer for her favorite soap stars. 
     The Author of Truth's Book never changes, but connects with us as we mature and let ourselves sink into what He's written. His Word, like an excellent teacher, presents what we're ready to learn.  As a 10-year-old, I could quote "It is more blessed to give than to receive," and as I tried out this dubious promise, I found it was true for me personally.  As a 20-year old, I didn't trust God to put His words in my mouth as His Word promised, but kept myself tied up in knots over what I would say to people. Now, after years of lessons, I understand He times His answers for His Glory and to keep me close to Him. Even as a 30 year old I didn't "waste God's time" asking for little things I thought He would see as "selfish," but His unending responses to my simplest prayers prove He means for me to pray about everything just as His Living Word declares in Philippians 4:6. He'll decide what's selfish and what He can use for His Glory. Because He's faithful to His Word in 2011, each year I read His Word with greater expectation. 
"Let the words of Christ, in all their richness, live in your hearts and make you wise. 
Use His words to teach and counsel each other.                                                            Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts. 
And whatever you do or say, let it be as a representative of the Lord Jesus,
all the while giving thanks through Him to God the Father." 
 Colossians 3:16 

"Those who listen to instruction will prosper; those who trust the Lord will be happy." Proverbs 16:20


"Those who love Your law have great peace and do not stumble. Psalm 119:165
My prayer today, Lord, is David's prayer:
"You made me; You created me. 
Now give me the sense to follow Your commands." 
Psalm 119:73
In the Name of Jesus, the Living Word Who came to prove all God's Love and Faithfulness to us!


Scripture quoted is from the New Living Translation
photo from Google images

No comments:

Post a Comment