Saturday, May 5, 2012

Saturday, May 5, 2012 - "Look It Up!"

The judge I work for is one smart cookie.  He reads and studies constantly and I believe the key to his amazing vault of facts and knowledge lies in a phrase he repeats and practices: "Look it up."  If an unfamiliar word, phrase, location, piece of trivia, (etc., etc.) comes up during an office staff discussion, he says, "Let's look it up," and somebody does. Mysteries are solved and minds can rest.  


As a child, my teachers and parents often replied, "Look it up," when I asked for the definition or spelling of a word. When I was a student, research took a great deal of time with trips to the library to study in the reference section or to scan portions of biographies and other topical history books. Uncovering the truth was a "Eureka!" moment. Today, the chase has reversed. Organizations and companies research us and flood our computer screens and widescreen televisions with what they hope will grab our attention, our business, our loyalty, and our votes. Our labor has shifted from fact-finding  to wading through the ocean of "facts" served up by individuals and organizations with unapologetic motives and opinions.  


Of course, many people aren't as interested in truth as in quick, easy answers from someone they can blame later if things go wrong. Such is often the case with spiritual maturity. The 66 Holy-Spirit breathed books of the Bible provide a reference section of history, biographies, how-to, self-help, poetry, and quotes, all originating in Truth from the God Who loves us. We have a Teacher, a Counselor in the Holy Spirit. We've been provided with the Power to learn, to retain and to apply Truth we can't explain.  God created us to grow from students of the elementary teachings of others into disciples who research His Word and pray for His personal guidance as we "look it up" and "look up." 


My prayer for today is expressed in these verses:



With my whole heart I have sought You;
Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments!

Your word I have hidden in my heart,
That I might not sin against You.

Blessed are You, O Lord!
Teach me Your statutes.

With my lips I have declared
All the judgments of Your mouth.

I have rejoiced in the way of Your testimonies,
As much as in all riches.

I will meditate on Your precepts,
And contemplate Your ways.

I will delight myself in Your statutes;
I will not forget Your word.

Deal bountifully with Your servant,
That I may live and keep Your word.

Open my eyes, that I may see
Wondrous things from Your law.
Psalm 119:10-18


No comments:

Post a Comment